Simple Cub wing vs Simple Scout wing

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I have a question I was curious to know the difference between the cub wing vs the scout wing. I have some ideas in my head to build a real simple plane using one of the 2 wings. The plane is going to be 3 channel. I know both planes use the "B" pack. I know that there are a few of you folks who have built both planes. At a quick look both wings look the same. The scout wing is 38" vs the scout wing of 37.5". Which wing do you think that has more lift ? How wide are the wings ? I can't find that number.

Thanks for any info would be great.
Al

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
The Scout has more surface area and thereby a tad more lift. I think the Scout Ailerons are larger.

I have also found the cub to have need of rudder mixed with the turn. scout didn't. that may have everything to do with mid vs. high wing.:unsure:

moret

The cub is 8 inches and the scout is 9. The wingtips are different, the cub is more rounded. The cub wingtips extend farer past the bottom fold over. This would make the cub wing tips a little weaker then the scout but maybe you do not cartwheel your plane. :) Wing area is 302 square inch on the cub and 323.8 on the scout Look at the first page of the plans to find the square inch specs.

Good luck

moret

The Scout has more surface area and thereby a tad more lift. I think the Scout Ailerons are larger.

I have also found the cub to have need of rudder mixed with the turn. scout didn't. that may have everything to do with mid vs. high wing.:unsure:

The mid wing scout just handles better on the ground and takes a lot less rudder on take offs. But I agree that is the different between mid vs high wing. I disliked the cub so much, its parts was donated to other planes.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
This would make the cub wing tips a little weaker then the scout but maybe you do not cartwheel your plane. :)

:LOL:You should have seen my micro P-38 flight attempts last night. lots of cartwheels as it routinely rolled anti-clockwise and typically nose over and cartwheeled tons!:ROFLMAO: that is a BIG factor for me.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
The scout and cub both fly well, but the scout flies WAY easier. I wish I had tried to fly it as my first plane. I built the cub and scout, but only tried the cub. I never was able to keep it in the air for more than 25 seconds. Those were the “really good flights” that I was really excited about lol. I have since built another cub and it is a really fun fast sporty plane. I wouldn’t really recommend it to a beginner though. The scout just flies so smooth and easy. The wing area seems a lot easier and the wing overall seem better imho. For a real simple plane like you want to design, go with the scout. If you want an even slower wing, use the old speedster or old fogey wing (they are the same). Those things slow down really well because of the under camber. I would recommend using a bbq skewer spar down the crease in the wing though, as when doing loops and high g maneuvers they like to fold, I have had it happen several times😉 Good luck and have fun! Keep us posted on your project!

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

It sounds like the scout wing is going to be the wing of choice. I want to build a plane with a scout wing that is mounted high and held down with rubber bands. The body of the plane can be a square tube. Build a style of plane like Experimental Airlines. The plane can be real simple. It does not need style, just function. Use the same dimensions and tail feathers from the scout and the original power pod to hold the motor and electronics. These are some of the ideas that I am kicking around.

Open to all input,
Al

alan0043

Why not go full EA and build the Noob Tube?

Hi Merv,

Thank you for the suggestion. I saw somewhere, where Ed talked about the Noob Tube. Where he said that the Noob Tube could not be the right plane for a new pilot because the wing does not have dihedral in it. But that is pretty much the idea with using dimension from the scout. I already have the plans and patterns for the scout. The big change for me would be the body of the plane. To make the body real simple and speed up the build. Right now my scout is showing signs of hanger rash. lol. I am hoping this plane would be easy to fly. But I don't know that. This would be my first plane idea. I have only been flying for about 6 weeks.

The picture you see is my first scratch built scout.

Please keep the input coming.
Al

Attachments

• Scout.jpg
    Scout.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Your idea to keep builds simple is a good one. Plenty of time to make planes look good after you learn to fly.

To make planes easier to fly, keep the wing loading low, lower the throws and keep the CG at 25%. When you master flying and are ready to have a bit of fun. Crank up the throws and move the CG aft. This will introduce some instability and allow your plane to become more aerobatic.

When I madden any new plane, I will keep the rates low and CG @ 25%. When the plane is trimmed out, I will crank up the rates and move the CG aft to around 30%.

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I think I will go thru with this idea. The nice thing is foam board is cheap. Mother Nature is saying it's time to think about staying indoors a little longer. That will give more time for scratch building. I'll make some patterns and go from there. The first part I will build will be the power pod and then base the fuselage off of the power pod. I already have the pattern for the wing. I will use my scout patterns to help with the new patterns.

Still open to more ideas and thoughts,
Al

Tr33s

Hi Everyone,

It sounds like the scout wing is going to be the wing of choice. I want to build a plane with a scout wing that is mounted high and held down with rubber bands. The body of the plane can be a square tube. Build a style of plane like Experimental Airlines. The plane can be real simple. It does not need style, just function. Use the same dimensions and tail feathers from the scout and the original power pod to hold the motor and electronics. These are some of the ideas that I am kicking around.

Open to all input,
Al
Hi, I’m working on the same concept because I’m getting back into the hobby after 30 years of not flying. Building a carbon fiber tube plane like the Slow Stick using an Old Fogey wing scaled up to 48” wingspan. I haven’t finished it yet, but it’s going to be very light and it should be a slow flyer to get some more flight time with. I’m working on bracing the wing and getting the balance right before I take it up.

Attachments

• 7DD9E592-2221-4419-82BA-304FD896AE85.jpeg
    7DD9E592-2221-4419-82BA-304FD896AE85.jpeg
    27.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 6BDB606F-4FB9-471A-B825-32CB9007B644.jpeg
    6BDB606F-4FB9-471A-B825-32CB9007B644.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

Here is a picture of what I call my Simple Scout Trainer. The plane is based off the Simple Scout. The wing is mounted on top of the fuselage. The fuselage is more square. The tail is also based off the Simple Scout. I mounted the servos outside for easier setup.

Al

Attachments

• Scout Trainer.jpg
    Scout Trainer.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Hi Everyone,

Here is a picture of what I call my Simple Scout Trainer. The plane is based off the Simple Scout. The wing is mounted on top of the fuselage. The fuselage is more square. The tail is also based off the Simple Scout. I mounted the servos outside for easier setup.

Al
It looks really nice! Have you flown it yet?

alan0043

It looks really nice! Have you flown it yet?

Hi Hanger,

Thank you for the compliment. The weather has not worked out yet for any maiden flight. Just to much wind. I still need someones help to maiden the plain. I was at the field this past Sunday but no go because of the wind.

Al