Simple Cub... With a TWIST

PoorManRC

Master member
Twist or 3 actually!
I've had a few stops and starts... But I've been gaining experience and knowledge, behind the scenes over the past year.

I got a Simple Cub Speed Build Kit last Christmas, but it took me till last Month, to acquire all the necessary bits to put her together - my way.
You see, as an Old, Broken, Disabled Veteran, with Hands that aren't quite as nimble, and Legs that only sometimes work...

I need more Docile Aircraft - ESPECIALLY when on the Ground or Landing on it!

I noticed in the Build Video (22 separate times!), that EVEN Josh Bixler COULDN'T always Land her, without severely Nosing Over!! :eek:o_O
For me, that wasn't going to work with my issues.
I learned Aerodynamics and Avionics in the USAF...
But learned so much more from My Dad and his Friends, about the basic and advanced theories about HOW Airplanes fly, how they've evolved, how they're controlled, and advantages/disadvantages of certain Design Elements.

Am I a Genius?? Hell NO!! Just a Guy who has been around, asked questions, watched many Videos and read things.
ANYONE who would try to tell you that they know everything... just politely excuse yourself, and go far away!!

That aside, here's the Build!! Part 1 of 6 anyway.

Essentially, moving forward the Landing Gear about an inch, should help with stabilizing Landings by not pivoting so much weight forward. I hope!!

Again, I'm far from perfect. I'm experimenting with Theories from multi Million Dollar Aircraft, and from People who actually ARE Geniuses....
And applying them to a $25 Foamie!!! :p Could work.

If you watch these, you could either enjoy my Band's Music from a Lifetime ago (the 80's!), or hit the Mute button. Your choice of course. ;)

NOTE: I'm only up to Part 4 myself, waiting to be able to get some final pieces.

I sincerely hope in the end, this will be helpful to some People!

~ Carmine

PoorManRC

Master member
Here's Part 2! :)

I'm learning the obvious... When you modify one thing, you create a chain reaction of other stuff that needs attention!!

Oh, and I'm not adding as much weight as it would appear to be adding!
She's heavier for sure, but that's all being dealt with in due course.

I'm so thankful for the GIFTS that made this even possible for me. I never forget that.

PoorManRC

Master member
Part 3!!
Starting to come together... And maybe start to make SENSE!! ;)

If you've made it this far, THANK YOU!! It really means so much.

~ Carmine

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
One thing that will immensely help with ground stability in tailwheel aircraft is widening the main gear. The Spitfire, the Me.109 and the Pitts Special are all notoriously difficult airplanes on the ground because they have narrow main gear, which leads to ground looping and over controlling on the ground. Also, a forward rake in the landing gear will help with neutral longitudinal stability and tracking on the ground and help you to trend towards positive stability. In conclusion, forward and wider is better.

PoorManRC

Master member
One thing that will immensely help with ground stability in tailwheel aircraft is widening the main gear. The Spitfire, the Me.109 and the Pitts Special are all notoriously difficult airplanes on the ground because they have narrow main gear, which leads to ground looping and over controlling on the ground. Also, a forward rake in the landing gear will help with neutral longitudinal stability and tracking on the ground and help you to trend towards positive stability. In conclusion, forward and wider is better.

Thanks! I hadn't considered WIDER. Like I say, we're ALL constantly Learning.
And as I often say, this Forum is AWESOME!

~ Carmine

Ken Myers

The gear is moved forward, along with several other changes on my version of the Cub.
Flies quiet well as a 3-channel.

The fellow flying the plane, Dave Stacer, had never flown this plane before. There are no retakes or edits in the video. Landing gear moved forward is only one of the mods I felt were required to make this a good everyday flier.

PoorManRC

Master member
That's awesome Ken! I was certain I didn't invent the concept... And am so glad to see it in practice!!(y)(y)

My plan is to start off 3 Channel, for flight, but use the Wing Servos for Bomb Drops.
The second time I watched the Cub build Video, it just looked obvious that the Gear needed to be moved forward.

Plus a few other things, that I've picked up over my past year of FT Crash Course!!

Nice job on yours!

PoorManRC

Master member
Here's Part 4...
It's starting to look like an Airplane, sorta! Getting closer.
I'm actually nervous about showing this to this crowd...
You Guys are crushing the Foam Core Board World with some of your work!!
I'm just an Old guy with a couple of Planes. Literally.

PoorManRC

Master member
Some descriptive pictures...
MORE Modifications!! :eek:
IMG_20190723_031700.jpg
IMG_20190723_031016.jpg
IMG_20190723_030644.jpg

Even though I'm no crazy flyer, nothing wrong with extra durability, right?

And, a Gift from a great friend!!
IMG_20190723_032615.jpg
IMG_20190723_032120.jpg
IMG_20190723_030415.jpg

I'm done asking, but man, I really appreciate the help and support!!
Thank you!

PoorManRC

Master member
Did a bit to the Vstab too!!
IMG_20190723_025746.jpg
IMG_20190723_025117.jpg

This great idea, I just learned from @kilroy07 from his FT Master Series Corsair build, and @Fly-n-Low did to his Simple Cub!! Thank you!
... from what I saw on the FT build Video for the Corsair - it NEEDS this Mod!
I simply made a 2" deep hole from the bottom of the Stabilizer, added Hot Glue into the hole, then inserted a cut BBQ Skewer!
The pointy end will pierce into the Fuse and Hstab.
IMG_20190723_024541.jpg

I have hopes for this Mod! I hope it all works as I figured.
I really just looked at how the other FT Aircraft went together, and their various improvement techniques, and applied them here!
IMG_20190723_023834.jpg

Last edited:

PoorManRC

Master member
Sorry if this build seems slow.... I know you guys are used to popping these things out in a couple of hours.
My hands don't work as well anymore, and I'd like to try to make her look half decent. 😉

PoorManRC

Master member
More progress an Mods. Hopefully you'll like them.
My "HD Power Pod reinforcement...
IMG_20190723_235822.jpg
IMG_20190724_000255.jpg
IMG_20190724_000905.jpg

IMG_20190723_023224.jpg

IMG_20190723_023451.jpg

IMG_20190723_022713.jpg

Reinforcing the Hstab....
IMG_20190723_031700.jpg

IMG_20190723_031016.jpg
IMG_20190723_030644.jpg

More in a little while... I'm doing a working steerable Tail Wheel, hopefully!! 😋

Attachments

• IMG_20190723_031700.jpg
    IMG_20190723_031700.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

OliverW

Legendary member

PoorManRC

Master member
I had that area fail mid flight causing my cub to go in 90 degrees.
The Hstab? I've heard that so many times...
This thing is just barely too big, to have something that flimsy!
I'm just borrowing ideas from watching EVERY FT build Video at least twice. 😳😋

I've got more than enough Motor and Prop, to add almost another 30-40g of weight. I'm going STRONG! 👍👍

PoorManRC

Master member
GREAT documentation. Keep it up. I can't wait for the flight video.
Thanks! :)
Sometimes I worry I'm changing too much at once...
Then I realize that this wasn't a rash decision. I've been planning since December!
The Flight Video is going to be a nail biter! I promised myself that I'm posting it, win, lose or catastrophic fail....