Doggo

Could you add a tail wheel to the simple cub, any links to a tail wheel I could buy and glue/tape onto the rudder like the Hobbyzone Champ. The rudder on my simple cub has a buldge on the backside of the hindge will that affect the flight characteristics of it will post a picture later.

Forster

Slow, low and dirty.
WIN_20180414_18_29_25_Pro (2).jpg I made this one with some 1/16th ply, epoxy and the tail wheel from a Timber 1.5m. You could do the same with a couple of popsicle sticks and hot glue.

Forster

Slow, low and dirty.
Doesn't seem to. I'm using the Timber 4.2" front wheels with 1/8" wire landing gear and except for flying slower in a head wind, the plane flies great. It will taxi, take-off and land from grass, gravel and even the soybean field behind my house with no issues.

Forster

Slow, low and dirty.
Bought it at the hardware store, most hobby stores sell 1/16" Piano wire too. You could probably use survey flag wire too.

Doggo

Hobby Town. I bought the Timber 1.5m wheelset. It was about $15. The front wheels are 4.2" and an inch wide but they weigh very little.

Thank you and I know the tailwheel will change the angle of attack slightly does that affect taking off

Steelydanfan

Nice job, I can certainly see why you added the tail wheel, I am a beginner and just am now finishing my Simple Cub. Personally speaking, I am just going to hand launch and belly land in grass, I need a field of grass to be my friend as I know I am going to crash a few times . I can see landing gear causing damage for a beginner. I did put the rear skid on and made the wire landing gear in case this Cub survives long enough for me to graduate from the beginner pilot academy.

Forster

Slow, low and dirty.
Thank you and I know the tailwheel will change the angle of attack slightly does that affect taking off
It's not significant. I didn't follow the instructions for the landing gear much at all, basically my mains are high enough that my prop clears when the airplane is level (with 3" to spare). With the basic B power pack, 9x4.7 ARES Prop and a 1000mah Radian battery it will take off in 6-8' of grass or gravel. My current landing gear is a little narrow for my preference but you can see how far forward I mounted them. My last Cub had the wheels 9" apart and took off/landed better on rough terrain. With any configuration, just make sure your balance point is close. Like it sits with about 60% of the low rate ailerons and the low rate (using the FT gauge) elevator and rudder it will still loop and roll. WIN_20180415_07_47_24_Pro (2).jpg

Last edited:

Steelydanfan

Forster, what is your flight time with the 1000mAh battery ? I haven't flown mine yet, I have 1300 mAh batteries on hand. There is one windy day after another these days on the Gulf Coast.

Forster

Slow, low and dirty.
Forster, what is your flight time with the 1000mAh battery ? I haven't flown mine yet, I have 1300 mAh batteries on hand. There is one windy day after another these days on the Gulf Coast.
I don't know what the limit is yet, but I'm getting 10 minutes on 50/60% average throttle and still show 12 volts with my meter. I have an alarm set for 11 volts, if the weather he ever clears I'll fly it to the alarm and let you know what the timer says. If you're using Graphine batteries, you may have about the same battery weight. I think you're safe for at least 10 minutes no matter how aggressively you fly. (Snerk, "Aggressive" "Cub" sort of an oxymoron.)

Last edited: