Simple Detachable On/Off Switch idea

I want to design an on/off switch for my airplanes that can be plugged in between my battery and my ESC. My idea is to solder short (like one inch) wires between a male XT60 and a female XT60 plug with a slide switch on either the positive or negative wire. Then I can just flip the switch to cut of voltage to the ESC instead of unplugging the battery. I would also probably lengthen the wire with the switch on it so that the switch can be mounted securely on the plane.

Hopefully you guys understand what I mean, if not then ask. I have looked and not found something like this on youtube or elsewhere. However, I don't know a whole lot about electronics so I have a few questions:
  • I will need a switch that is rated for the battery voltage and the amp rating of the ESC, right? I am using a 3s, so 12v.
  • And does it make a difference if I mount the switch on the positive or negative wire?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I want to design an on/off switch for my airplanes that can be plugged in between my battery and my ESC. My idea is to solder short (like one inch) wires between a male XT60 and a female XT60 plug with a slide switch on either the positive or negative wire. Then I can just flip the switch to cut of voltage to the ESC instead of unplugging the battery. I would also probably lengthen the wire with the switch on it so that the switch can be mounted securely on the plane.

Hopefully you guys understand what I mean, if not then ask. I have looked and not found something like this on youtube or elsewhere. However, I don't know a whole lot about electronics so I have a few questions:
  • I will need a switch that is rated for the battery voltage and the amp rating of the ESC, right? I am using a 3s, so 12v.
  • And does it make a difference if I mount the switch on the positive or negative wire?

It can be done. It is used often on fuel airplanes. It common on electric planes because it's always safer to have as few thing as possible that may fail. Also because of adding extra weight to the plane.

If you decide to do it, get a switch capable of 50 Amps or more depending on your battery. (Post the C rating on the battery and I'll give you the exact maximum amps you'll be using.)

chossy

Why not just use some XT60 connectors instead of a slide switch.
Just stick a female inbetween the positve and solder a link between + & - on a male connector then you can just plug the male in to make the contact no worries about finding a 12v 60A+ switch

It can be done. It is used often on fuel airplanes. It common on electric planes because it's always safer to have as few thing as possible that may fail. Also because of adding extra weight to the plane.

If you decide to do it, get a switch capable of 50 Amps or more depending on your battery. (Post the C rating on the battery and I'll give you the exact maximum amps you'll be using.)
I am using a 3s 2200mAh 25C.

Why not just use some XT60 connectors instead of a slide switch.
Just stick a female inbetween the positve and solder a link between + & - on a male connector then you can just plug the male in to make the contact no worries about finding a 12v 60A+ switch

That would work too, but not quite as simple. Although I am having trouble finding a switch that can handle it

I can't find a switch that looks like it'd work that great so I might try to figure something out with some plugs or a fuse like you said