Simple FPV Setup

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

You may have watched some of our FPV episodes or you've heard us briefly talk about FPV camera setups but we've never really shared how to setup a basic FPV camera kit. In this Fast Tip Josh and Chad talk about what to expect when investing in an FPV camera kit.

simple fpv - 1.jpg simple fpv - 2.jpg

Hobby King's 900MHZ 200mW Tx/Rx & 1/3-inch CCD Camera NTSC kit is one that we use in our FPV setups and we think it's a great starter kit. Purchasing everything together allows you a nice platform to build more advanced setups and assures you that you'll have all the components that you need.

simple fpv - 3.jpg

The camera doesn't record audio in this kit so the yellow wire connects to the white wire when connected.

simple fpv - 10.jpg simple fpv - 8.jpg

This kit doesn't come with any power so you will need to provide your own. Chad created a connector that will allow you to connect power a Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 35C Lipo Pack (or whatever power you prefer)

simple fpv - 9.jpg simple fpv - 6.jpg

The lens that comes stock in this kit is not very good. The narrow field of view makes it bad for FPV, so we recommend replacing it with a wide angle lens 2.1mm.

simple fpv - 8.jpg simple fpv - 5.jpg

To replace the lens, connect the camera to a monitor and unscrew the old lens and replace with the new lens using the monitor to set your focus. Remember, you will want to focus on distance!

simple fpv - 4.jpg

We created these simple camera pack mounts that are great for installing into most any plane. The transmitter gets hot, so be sure to allow for air flow!

Here is a basic diagram connecting to a GoPro Camera 2.5mm plug:

gopro-fpv.jpg

Learn more about the FPV Camera kit mentioned in this video:

900MHZ 200mW Tx/Rx & 1/3-inch CCD Camera NTSC
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=13438&aff=247441

Wide Angle Lens (2.1mm)
http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=27

Batteries shown in this episode:

Carbon

Elemental Madness
Sweet! This is just the link to show anyone who asks how do I do FPV! I really love the details guys although this would not work for me as 900mhz is very crowded in my area. I'm sure you guys will release something on frequency selection following this eh? :D

Carbon

Elemental Madness
Quick questions, when you guys use a cloverleaf, do you(or can you safely) keep it inside the fuselage? Would this decrease range?

JeffKling

Great Episode

Really a good intro.

Any chance of getting a rundown of the frequencies and the +/- of each. I noticed this one is a 900MHZ. I am looking at a 5.8 GHz. How do they compare?

Nonamerc

Arman
Quick questions, when you guys use a cloverleaf, do you(or can you safely) keep it inside the fuselage? Would this decrease range?

No this wont decrease range because of the low frequency. Lower frequency better pennetration! Never do this with 2.4 GHz or 5.8 GHz with 5.8GHz you will get a big big range reduction,

Nonamerc

Arman
Great question, Carbon. Thanks, for the info Nonamerc. Get your swag, yet?

Yea got it today :)

@carbon

Note that there is not much difference between 2.3 GHz and 2.4 GHz in noise. If you choose the higher frequencies on the transmitter like 2450 you will get the same amount of noise then with 2.3 GHz. Also 2.3 Ghz and 2.4 GHz are both the same with the penetration thing. With 5.8 GHz it is not possible to do this, my friend has his 5.8 GHz transmitter on the back of his skywalker (behind the motor) when he wants to fly back he has bad signal because the belly of the plane is in it's way.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
@NoNameRC- It is locked to one channel. I have had tons of success with it, in fact, before the weather tanked I did a crazy flight through my local forest with a GoPro mounted on the Bixler, and had rock solid video!

Nic- if you are using a reciever from readymaderc you can go to Radio Shack or online and get a 3.5mm barrel connector. Positive is in the middle I believe.

IMG_0350.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

For your transmitter I suggest getting the power from your battery if it is a 3 cell. Just tap into it before it gets to the ESC and add an LC filter: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16646367&postcount=14
Or you can use a separate 3 cell if you want to avoid the filter.

Last edited:

Nic

I want to build a setup for a FPV ground station. I want to buy this kit from hobbyking: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=13438&aff=247441 ,but it doesn't come with the battery power connector for the receiver. I looked around the internet and found this: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_66_68&products_id=467

1st question: Is this connector good for the power?
2nd question: What is the difference between 18 AWG and 24 AWG wire? Is it better the 18 AWG wire because it's rated for higher amp?
3rd question: How do I know what wire is the positive and the negative one? Because there are the same color.
4th question: Can I plug directly my XT60 connector to it?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I really want to buy the right thing and have a better understanding about it!

Nonamerc

Arman
1st question: Is this connector good for the power?
Yes this connector should work
2nd question: What is the difference between 18 AWG and 24 AWG wire? Is it better the 18 AWG wire because it's rated for higher amp?
There is a difference but it does not really matter because you are not going to use allot of amps.
3rd question: How do I know what wire is the positive and the negative one? Because there are the same color.
If you have a multimeter you can check which wire is which. Inside is positive (not 100% sure so double check that)
If you don't have a multimeter get this connector: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_66_68&products_id=356
and cutoff the JST connector and solder on a xt50

4th question: Can I plug directly my XT60 connector to it?
Yes you can just make sure that you use a 3s lipo

I know it's a lot of questions, but I really want to buy the right thing and have a better understanding about it!

Arman

wootler

Old man (me) thinks he wants to give FPV a go. If anyone is still monitoring this thread, AND familiar with the Sony 1/3" CCD board cams from Hobby King ... Is there a big difference in the 420TVL and 520TVL cameras? Looks like $12 difference in the two packages.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Better resolution comes with more TV lines but seeing the difference will be a function of your display type.

wootler

Thanks xuzme! If the camera specs can be trusted, looks like the 520 TVL is worth the extra $10. Probably be using a small LCD till I decide how serious I want to get.