Simple Gliders - getting back into foam

bracesport

Legendary member
I recently decided to offer my skills to the local college primarily in CAD and design - but along the way, they told me about their Aeronautics club which I also offered to get involved with - they are lucky enough to have a reasonable laser cutter so I suggested we could make some DTFB gliders!

Last week I sent them the files to cut the Simple Soarer and before I even got to the first meeting they had cut and built a couple already - the build quality was not bad for a first go, but they had used 3mm FB and the templates were for 6mm FB which meant the bends were a bit rough - initially, they had forgotten the polyhedral in the wings, but we put that right - we also went through some of the techniques for bending and glueing and I updated their templates to suit 3mm FB so we will see what they achieve next week!

These kids are a mix of ages but they are keen as mustard - once we get the build quality right and they get a feel for a nice glide from a hand throw we will look at adding some RC gear!

Image 2.jpeg
Image.jpeg

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I recently decided to offer my skills to the local college primarily in CAD and design - but along the way, they told me about their Aeronautics club which I also offered to get involved with - they are lucky enough to have a reasonable laser cutter so I suggested we could make some DTFB gliders!

Last week I sent them the files to cut the Simple Soarer and before I even got to the first meeting they had cut and built a couple already - the build quality was not bad for a first go, but they had used 3mm FB and the templates were for 6mm FB which meant the bends were a bit rough - initially, they had forgotten the polyhedral in the wings, but we put that right - we also went through some of the techniques for bending and glueing and I updated their templates to suit 3mm FB so we will see what they achieve next week!

These kids are a mix of ages but they are keen as mustard - once we get the build quality right and they get a feel for a nice glide from a hand throw we will look at adding some RC gear!

View attachment 178115 View attachment 178116

Digging those jackets. Those boys look like they are ready for the barbershop quartet. ;)

bracesport

Legendary member
Well, the Simple Soarer has proved challenging for the boys - the size is a bit big for the first-timers and given they only have 3mm FB sheets, the scoring and folding is a bit more fiddly - so I thought we could try the EZ glider which is a smaller glider and made from one sheet.

I converted the files for the laser cutter and for some reason the first sheet cut without the score lines, so I offered to take it home and build it up with my son (and convert it to a 2ch of course)! Stage one before dinner - gouge out the channels, glue up the fuselage, and start on the tail feathers. :)

IMG_0533.JPG
IMG_0532.JPG
IMG_0534.JPG
IMG_0535.JPG
IMG_0536.JPG
IMG_0537.JPG
IMG_0538.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
We had a bit more time this afternoon so we cracked on and made the wing - this 3mm FB is card covered rather than paper covered, so it is nice and stiff, but a tad heavier - I use a small screwdriver to open up the bend points which allows a reasonable amount of glue to get in while providing an easy bend - as we are using 3mm board I added a strip under the spar bend to build up the height of the foil.

For the students, I will take this one along as an example build - if I don't get the servos in we can do that part together, although we only have 3/4 of an hour each week at the aeronautics club, it would be nice for them to see a completed product.

IMG_0551.JPG
IMG_0552.JPG
IMG_0553.JPG
IMG_0554.JPG
IMG_0555.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
I added a couple of 9g servos (ran out of 5gs) and threw in an FSiA6b RX and 2Cell Lipo - it is a small glider and with controls at the tail (aft weight) the nose balancing requirement creeps up - regardless of all the onboard gear that is not optimised for the weight we still needed some lead - we will see if it flies! :)

IMG_0582.JPG
IMG_0608.JPG
IMG_0611.JPG

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

Timmy

Legendary member
I added a couple of 9g servos (ran out of 5gs) and threw in an FSiA6b RX and 2Cell Lipo - it is a small glider and with controls at the tail (aft weight) the nose balancing requirement creeps up - regardless of all the onboard gear that is not optimised for the weight we still needed some lead - we will see if it flies! :)

View attachment 182487 View attachment 182488 View attachment 182490
I like how the antennas stick out! Give it googly eyes and paint it like an insect. The antennas could be the insect's antennas. :p

bracesport

Legendary member
Well it flies! The boys had their first go at using an RC glider and they loved it - the conditions at the park were a tad blustery, but they managed to float in the breeze remarkably well - it was a bit tail heavy so I will tweak it a bit to penetrate better.

I think I will change the design with a slightly wider wing in the same fuse as the 3mm FB is heavier so needs a bit more lifting force.

D7574688-4D1F-4B48-B660-B0B5DCE39778.png
8180F9D7-D4E4-4132-B68A-215743FC0FB3.jpeg
61C9FA8F-38AA-4869-8B15-E8C2197C7A55.png

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Well it flies! The boys had their first go at using an RC glider and they loved it - the conditions at the park were a tad blustery, but they managed to float in the breeze remarkably well - it was a bit tail heavy so I will tweak it a bit to penetrate better.

I think I will change the design with a slightly wider wing in the same fuse as the 3mm FB is heavier so needs a bit more lifting force.

View attachment 182506 View attachment 182507 View attachment 182508
Awesome!! Looks like you were having a lot of fun! (y):D