Simple Quad

John Campbell

Great video, I have built a QUADcopter, but have had problems getting the controller adjusted to fly it. Will ahve to see the build review and hopefully that will help a little more. Great job guys.

earthsciteach

I'm definitely looking forward to the "non-entertaining" build video. Quads don't thrill me, but maybe that's because I just don't understand them.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
It's so sad to see them holding a brand new motor when my tri is grounded just because of one of those motors broke...

Excellent guide though!

oagh

I Liked it , I too have 1 QUAD copter, Its a Blade mQX . I do love it ,I have a kit for a 450 size on the way .
But it will not be up in the air for some time, Need more parts 1st.
But hay you made alishanmao mad, he had a big post .........
Hes spying on you with the spyhawk :applause:

UndCon

UndCon
Cool - now get rid of KK and start using a MultiWii board and enjoy auto level mode

//UndCon

wongthomas

Love it guys, very nice.
I have been thinking about a quad. so i might just jump into it.

But you had some very nice links, but why did you not link to the props you used. or are you saving that to the build video ?

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
I'd suggest LEDs for orientation, much easier to see and you can fly at night. I just plug them into the balance leads

Cool - now get rid of KK and start using a MultiWii board and enjoy auto level mode

//UndCon

Auto level is horrible! If you want to have fun, just have 3 axis stabilisation.

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
LOOK WHAT THE MAILMAN DELIVERED !!!

Can you guys guess what the mailman delivered today ??

Im really impressed with the quality of the accessory pack that COMES INCLUDED with the motor !!

santa quad.jpg kda 2215 2.jpg kda2215 1.jpg

John Campbell

Please do not flame me for this, as it was not my idea, nor would I do it... It was on MSNBC Today.. See the article on MSNBC. Man had is cat hit by a car... I will let you guess what he converted it into and flew it... In away it kind of bothers me, because my cat looks exactly like this one. I guess you could say this not such such a simple QUADcopter. BTW, his motors, and Batteries are Turnigy. so I guess this does qualify for HK Build Ideas :)

Chad, I apologize if this breaks the rules...

BenB

Really looking forward to the build video. Just one thing- the KK controller board has servo plugs on it to connect to the receiver. This has the same plugs- so is there a "double ended servo cable" available or is it necessary to solder up on specifically.
Was thinking about getting a heli but quite fancy going for a quad now. A big of scaling up and it should take my Canon D500 nicely on a gimble... but I think I'll learn how to fly first (I guess everyone fancies doing amazing in-air videos to being with).

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Double ended cable is available (female/female)

Quad all the way. I went through three heli's. They are gone and I love my quad and tri copters.
Easier to fly, easier and CHEAPER to fix!

Thurmond

Last edited:

UndCon

UndCon
Auto level is horrible! If you want to have fun, just have 3 axis stabilisation.

Well that depends on what you want to do with your Quad.

For fun flying and loops = no auto level
for Aerial photo and video = autolevel

Personally I fly most without but use it when recording videos.

viper3two

Please do not flame me for this, as it was not my idea, nor would I do it... It was on MSNBC Today...

O M G......

Anyways, looking forward to the build, ordering parts this week hopefully. Does anyone have a layout of the frame? Like how long/thickness of the arms, how big should the HIP boards should be etc? Where do we get the stuff? Home Depot? I haven't found any of the HIP material yet.
Better yet...do a quick video on the frame build and it will be complete ;)
Thanks

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
A link to some suitable props would be good , I have no idea which ones to get:confused:

Josh Bixler mentions 12X3.8 but the motor data indicates 11X3.8 or 11X4.7.

IMHO I like this prop set:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__22448__Slow_Fly_Electric_Prop_1045_SF_4_pc_Green_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...Electric_Prop_1045R_SF_RH_Rotation_4_pc_.html

Alternately they use Tri-Props on the controller board installation video. I have successfully used 9X5 3 bladed props.

Always remember to get two regular rotation (CCW) and two reverse rotation (CW) per set.

I am sure more detailed part list will be posted in the build video.

Thurmond

J450n

Josh Bixler mentions 12X3.8 but the motor data indicates 11X3.8 or 11X4.7.

IMHO I like this prop set:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__22448__Slow_Fly_Electric_Prop_1045_SF_4_pc_Green_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...Electric_Prop_1045R_SF_RH_Rotation_4_pc_.html

Alternately they use Tri-Props on the controller board installation video. I have successfully used 9X5 3 bladed props.

Always remember to get two regular rotation (CCW) and two reverse rotation (CW) per set.

I am sure more detailed part list will be posted in the build video.

Thurmond

Thank you :D great info