Simple retracts (9g servo operated)

misterjalapeno

Hi!
This is my very first post on this forum (but I did post an article about scout xl travel kit)

This is to present my 9g operated, 3d printed retractable landing gear. It has been bench tested and can hold at least 5kg of force in all axis and each unit weight 50g at 100% infill, servo included. They are 50 mm wide and can fit in a power pod as main landing gear *see note one below*.

material required:
stl files, bbq skewer (3.5 to 3mm diameter), 3-4 9G servo, CA glue.

They are part of a 150% FT 22 im designing at the moment.

-The ''CF'' tag refer to the bracket being compatible with a 7mm CF (spar).
-The ''BBQ'' refer to skewers being used to transfer the load from the gear to the plane.
-The main struts use 2 bbq skewer as moving piece on the suspension
-The nose strut uses a single 6mm CF rod that can rotate on its axis and provide steering cabapility and suspension simultaneously.

-All of there shocks uses 3 inch rubber band and each unit is preloaded with about 400g force and provide 1200g of force when at full deflection (1 inch travel). Stiffness can be modified when using stronger or weaker rubber band and playing with preload.

note:
*note 1*: this kit can be mounted in line with the plane (nose gear in picture) or sideway (main gear in picture). For in line operations, I will soon post an additionnal axle file that allow for proper axle and wheel angle.

Im new to posting here and would like some tips to be able to post videos (retracts in action). For the time being, I'll post the video via the facebook page FT fans, under Maxime Valiquette.

Cheers

#1 edit 15 oct: added: axle mk3 V2, axle mk3 V2 offset and bbq strut C1
note: all the pieces are now available to build in line retract, in addition to having and offset connector for increased flexibility to fit models.

IMG_9274.JPEG
IMG_9279.JPEG
IMG_9304.JPEG
IMG_9401.JPEG

Attachments

• 6mm CF axle mk3.stl
    19 KB · Views: 0
  • axle mk3.stl
    23.5 KB · Views: 0
  • bottom hinge MK3.stl
    33.7 KB · Views: 0
  • main strut bbq mk3.stl
    55.3 KB · Views: 0
  • nose strut mk3.stl
    53.8 KB · Views: 0
  • retract bracket BBQ mk3.stl
    123.4 KB · Views: 0
  • retract bracket CF mk3.stl
    137.3 KB · Views: 0
  • steering cf nose 6mm mk3.stl
    17.3 KB · Views: 0
  • top hinge mk3.stl
    24.9 KB · Views: 0
  • axle mk3 V2.stl
    34.3 KB · Views: 0
  • axle mk3 V2 offset.stl
    25.7 KB · Views: 0
  • bbq strut C1.stl
    22 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

luvmy40

Elite member
The easiest way to embed video is to upload it to youtube and paste the video link in the body of your post.

I have requested that Rumble be added as an approved video source, but I have no idea how long it will take or if it will be approved.

BTW, this is very cool and I will be trying it out at some point in the near future.

The Fopster

Master member
Hi!
This is my very first post on this forum (but I did post an article about scout xl travel kit)

This is to present my 9g operated, 3d printed retractable landing gear. It has been bench tested and can hold at least 5kg of force in all axis and each unit weight 50g at 100% infill, servo included. They are 50 mm wide and can fit in a power pod as main landing gear *see note one below*.

material required:

-The ''BBQ'' refer to skewers being used to transfer the load from the gear to the plane.
-The nose strut uses a single 6mm CF rod that can rotate on its axis and provide steering cabapility and suspension simultaneously.

-All of there shocks uses 3 inch rubber band and each unit is preloaded with about 400g force and provide 1200g of force when at full deflection (1 inch travel). Stiffness can be modified when using stronger or weaker rubber band and playing with preload.

note:
*note 1*: this kit can be mounted in line with the plane (nose gear in picture) or sideway (main gear in picture). For in line operations, I will soon post an additionnal axle file that allow for proper axle and wheel angle.

Im new to posting here and would like some tips to be able to post videos (retracts in action). For the time being, I'll post the video via the facebook page FT fans, under Maxime Valiquette.

Cheers

View attachment 231162 View attachment 231163 View attachment 231164 View attachment 231165
Wow. Some very impressive design ideas and engineering. Congratulations!

JetCrafts

Hi!

material required:

note:

Cheers

View attachment 231162 View attachment 231163 View attachment 231164 View attachment 231165
woo f-22 , how do people steal ideas from my head this the 3rd

misterjalapeno

woo f-22 , how do people steal ideas from my head this the 3rd
haha, I started witht the regular FT 22 a year ago and then I widened the plans by 3 inches to be able to fit 2 5 inch drone motor side by side, instead of just one. Since then, the F 22 2P (2 prop) is my favorite plane. To get back to the scale look, Im now building a 150% FT 22 (wing profile) with home made engine intake and 2 props aswell. I plan on posting stuff on the 150% f22 later on.

Attachments

• IMG_9203.JPEG
    IMG_9203.JPEG
    406.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7624.JPEG
    IMG_7624.JPEG
    914.2 KB · Views: 0

MaxTheFliteFreak

Hi!

material required:

note:

Cheers

Very impressive! Watch out for those plastic gears stripping though.

misterjalapeno

Very impressive! Watch out for those plastic gears stripping though.
Thanks for the tought. I tried to mitigate this by allowing the hinge arm to overtravel into a ‘lock’ position. Just like the real planes, weight on wheel would tend to lock the gear in place and wont affect the servo.
One thing that can be tricky is to adjust the servo travel adjustment: too far and it can draw alot of power (near stall), not far enough and the arm is not locked (creating stress on servo like you mentionned)

Thanks for the input!

MaxTheFliteFreak

The easiest way to embed video is to upload it to youtube and paste the video link in the body of your post.

I have requested that Rumble be added as an approved video source, but I have no idea how long it will take or if it will be approved.

BTW, this is very cool and I will be trying it out at some point in the near future.[/QUOTE
Thanks for the tought. I tried to mitigate this by allowing the hinge arm to overtravel into a ‘lock’ position. Just like the real planes, weight on wheel would tend to lock the gear in place and wont affect the servo.
One thing that can be tricky is to adjust the servo travel adjustment: too far and it can draw alot of power (near stall), not far enough and the arm is not locked (creating stress on servo like you mentionned)

Thanks for the input!
No problem! Can't wait to seee it work. You should post your little project on the "What dix you fly today?" Thread. I think it has become a little community within a community and I think if more people know about your design, they will love it. I think it might revolutionize DIY retracts.

misterjalapeno

-I plan on posting more of this kind of stuff as this is only one of a few projects. Any idea where I could post to have an evolutive thread (that reflect the constant developpement of my projects)? I was thinking of maybe setting up a cult 3d account and posting links instead of having 50 un organised files in a single thread :/

-Also, I added some axle connectors, see edit notes1

e2designs

-I plan on posting more of this kind of stuff as this is only one of a few projects. Any idea where I could post to have an evolutive thread (that reflect the constant developpement of my projects)? I was thinking of maybe setting up a cult 3d account and posting links instead of having 50 un organised files in a single thread :/

-Also, I added some axle connectors, see edit notes1

A post on Cults would be awesome!
Let us know how they hold up. I do like the design as I am going to need to do something similar on my Albatross build. There is a creator who came up with the files, but seeing other implementations helps inform the design.