Simple Scout 3.0, my third Scout

Marty72

Elite member
So I thought I was done with the Simple Scout (1 & 2), as it had served it's purpose well, teaching me how to fly. I moved a couple of months ago and had space constraints, so I scraped the plane. Well, I recently realized I needed to build another to help me with take off and landing practice. The plane flies so very well slow, and low making it ideal for this. So I built 3.0 with that in mind.

I Present Black Max: FT B pack motor (2212 1050kv) w/ 9x6 prop.

IMG_2478.JPG

IMG_2482.JPG

I've been waiting to maiden this plane and today I got my chance. They opened up the soccer field where it all started for me. The place where I crashed the Simple Scout 1.0 eight times in a row, acquiring less than 5 minutes of flight time. The ninth flight, I went the distance and it was quite a day.
In the beginning, it would go like this, I would hand launch it, I'd get from 5 seconds to maybe a minute before disaster would strike and then I'd take the pieces home, repair and try and again. Maybe I'll find the time today and make a short video with clips of just the crashes (I have on video). As I remember, some of them are down right embarrassing.

So I returned to the field today that I hadn't visited since the days of Scout 1.0, October 2019. The field was very wet, making the grass very heavy on the wheels and doing some cosmetic damage to my decals but other than that, a perfect day to launch. No people or dogs on the field!

I did the typical maiden, got the plane up, trimmed out and then proceeded to begin landing and take off practice. Here it is.

Last edited:

Marty72

Elite member
Here's a much shorter clip of today's maiden, 2nd battery. A few things that surprised me, first, the plane (new, undamaged) flies very well, it flies slow and it's also pretty fast. I'm running a 9x6 prop, giving the plane quite a range. I had a lot of fun flying it in a park setting, where I'm space constrained. It is a lot of fun flying this plane low and slow. It also is quite maneuverable. I think this is not only going to be my take off and landing trainer but also my park flier. I'm not comfortable at this point flying my warbirds at a site like this, but totally at home with a the Simple Scout. I can't believe how much fun I had flying it today, I really didn't expect that.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
So I thought I was done with the Simple Scout (1 & 2), as it had served it's purpose well, teaching me how to fly. I moved a couple of months ago and had space constraints, so I scraped the plane. Well, I recently realized I needed to build another to help me with take off and landing practice. The plane flies so very well slow, and low making it ideal for this. So I built 3.0 with that in mind.

I Present Black Max: FT B pack motor (2212 1050kv) w/ 9x6 prop.

View attachment 170311

View attachment 170314

I've been waiting to maiden this plane and today I got my chance. They opened up the soccer field where it all started for me. The place where I crashed the Simple Scout 1.0 eight times in a row, acquiring less than 5 minutes of flight time. The ninth flight, I went the distance and it was quite a day.
In the beginning, it would go like this, I would hand launch it, I'd get from 5 seconds to maybe a minute before disaster would strike and then I'd take the pieces home, repair and try and again. Maybe I'll find the time today and make a short video with clips of just the crashes (I have on video). As I remember, some of them are down right embarrassing.

So I returned to the field today that I hadn't visited since the days of Scout 1.0, October 2019. The field was very wet, making the grass very heavy on the wheels and doing some cosmetic damage to my decals but other than that, a perfect day to launch. No people or dogs on the field!

I did the typical maiden, got the plane up, trimmed out and then proceeded to begin landing and take off practice. Here it is.

That plane looks so nice. Gonna watch the vids now

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I'm not comfortable at this point flying my warbirds at a site like this, but totally at home with a the Simple Scout. I can't believe how much fun I had flying it today, I really didn't expect that.
Isn't it funny how much fun it is to fly a simple and easy plane? I built the simple cub a month or two ago, added flaps, and used it to practice STOL with. Although it isn't as exciting to fly as many of my other planes, it's fun in it's own way.

Marty72

Elite member
Isn't it funny how much fun it is to fly a simple and easy plane? I built the simple cub a month or two ago, added flaps, and used it to practice STOL with. Although it isn't as exciting to fly as many of my other planes, it's fun in it's own way.

Yeah, it's fun flying super low and slow and not having to worry about stall. The park setting where I started my flying was too small for a beginner, I didn't realize that until later. Even now when I fly there, little time for straight flying (difficult to trim a plane at this site). The Scout is really fun for taking off and landing. I was out at the soccer field a couple of days ago and I was doing a big oval, flying low. Every time the plane came around in front of me, I'd do a touch and go. Great practice.

I truly love the way the warbirds fly, they just carve big beautiful turns but having a stol plane is fun too.