Simple scout biplane

RossFPV

I want to build a simple scout biplane but im not sure of how to make the top wing sturdy. i also want to lower the bottom wing but i still want to use the original landing gear and maybe floats in the winter, should i cut holes in the wing for the landing gear or only lower it about an inch?

Michael9865

Elite member
When I made a biplane out of the mini scout I increased the tail surfaces around 15-20% I believe. I believe that I increased the tail moment buy 20% and the nose moment by 10-15%. Dave Brown, I believe, wrote a very good article on biplane design that discusses the design percentages. I will look for it and post it soon. Enjoy the process.

It would look better with the lower wing at the bottom of the fuselage. If you're talking about putting a hole in the lower wing for the gear tab to pass through, I looked at the plan and just aft of the leading edge shouldn't be a problem (you probably wouldn't want to go through the spar). I would consider boxing it in so it becomes part of the channel the landing gear tab plugs into. An another approach would be to stagger the wings and put the lower wings leading edge on the back edge of the channel for the landing gear. However, this might require recalculating the CG!

RossFPV

another approach would be to stagger the wings and put the lower wings leading edge on the back edge of the channel for the landing gear. However, this might require recalculating the CG!
that would still require cutting a hole in the wing towards the back for future floats. I think if i keep the wing at the same spot but at the bottom of the fuselage the landing gear+floats wont go through the spar so i might do that. Thanks for the help!

RossFPV

Top wing done

Attachments

• 9483C537-EDA1-4EFD-A895-BDC413715D10.jpeg
    9483C537-EDA1-4EFD-A895-BDC413715D10.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

RossFPV

Hey that's looking good! I would add some cabane struts between the top wing and fuse just to reinforce the whole thing. Not sure how the top wing being free to wobble might effect the handling.
It actually doesnt wobble any unless you grab the wing and move it and the top wing isn’t actually glued.