Simple Scout FPV package

Ryder

Hi there,

At Flite Fest, I tried to set up a FPV package with Stone Blue, but after putting all the parts together, it would have cost over $350. I want a cheaper solution that doesn’t involve soldering. Please help.

FDS

Elite member
You can do basic FPV with an all in one camera and VTX ($30) and a pair of Eachine EV 800 box goggles, $45. That will have plenty of range for sport flying and give a fairly decent analogue goggle feed.
You will need to connect the camera to a 5v filtered supply, so you will need to add a separate Bec (soldering) or a servo plug to take power off the 5v/ground of a spare channel in the receiver. You can do that with a servo plug, which has crimp on connectors like JST, no soldering.
You can mount the camera on a servo for a moving panning camera, or if you buy the $70 Run Cam Split set up from FT store you can have a servo controlled FPV stack which records 1080p 60fps as well.
Soldering is an essential skill for model aircraft building, it’s not hard to learn and if you practice on scrap wire and plugs, cheap too. A basic 25w Weller iron will do great. Avoid cheap ones, they are awful.

MorningViewFPV

Stone blue airlines will get you the best antenna you have ever seen. No soldering required. Another option for no soldering FPV is buy a cheap vtx with the cable that connects to your batteries balance plug. Power the camera from the vtx with the wiring harness. You might have to twist some wires together and wire wrap em. You will have a simple system you can put in anything. Grab a cheap FPV headset and go fly. power loops are fun.

MorningViewFPV

Another option for no soldering FPV is like FDS said grab a AIO cam/vtx but power it via a tiny whoop or any cheap 1S battery. I do this on RC cars without pdbs. i've also just powered them off the receiver.

Reactions: FDS

Duck

Hi there,

At Flite Fest, I tried to set up a FPV package with Stone Blue, but after putting all the parts together, it would have cost over $350. I want a cheaper solution that doesn’t involve soldering. Please help.

Stone Blue makes really good stuff but you need to explain what you are trying to accomplish for us to give you a better solution.

1. What needs to be included? Do you mean googles? TX/RX?
  2. Are you flying long range, behind trees, indoors?
  3. How durable do you want it to be? Are you going to crash alot?
  4. How do you want to install it in the plane? A stand alone pod? Three axis gimbal? Or just hot glue and hope?
  5. How important is image quality?
  6. What price range are you looking at?
  7. How would you want to power it? Does it need to run stand alone for a long time?
  8. Do you need things like OSD?
  9. Is weight important?