Simple Scout Help

Yordle

Hi everyone. I am new here and I found flitetest about a month ago so I felt inspired to buy a radio and stuff and get started. So i bought a flysky receiver and I also got a 1806 motor and some 1000mah batteries. I followed the build guide on yt and no matterwhat i did i cant get it to balance the right way. I tried to fly it and it crashed. do i need to add more weight to the front?

hankflies03

First, welcome to the flite test community! Your motor is too small for the simple scout and you will need one like This with a 10" prop. And your batteries may be on the small side so you may need to add some nose weight too. Good luck!

Foamforce

Did you mean an FT Mini Scout? There are three sizes, the mini, the simple, and the xl. The mini takes the 1806. If it’s not the mini, then yes, your motor is too small. It could probably actually fly it, but it would be more difficult.

If you post a video of a glide test or attempted flight, we can probably help you diagnose CG issues.

Yordle

Did you mean an FT Mini Scout? There are three sizes, the mini, the simple, and the xl. The mini takes the 1806. If it’s not the mini, then yes, your motor is too small. It could probably actually fly it, but it would be more difficult.

If you post a video of a glide test or attempted flight, we can probably help you diagnose CG issues.
Oh it is the miniscout, im sorry i wanted a first plane only to have steering and elevator because i didn't want to worry about flipping the plane over when i fly

I searched around and i found some things saying the foamboard i bought from walmart is heavier but some say it is the same i wonder if i built it out of the heavy kind it says ross on it. I have these batteries

https://speedyfpv.com/products/rhin...873Vl8k0FOuN50eTNKn05o3frrUg8WrYaAuEkEALw_wcB

Foamforce

I searched around and i found some things saying the foamboard i bought from walmart is heavier but some say it is the same i wonder if i built it out of the heavy kind it says ross on it. I have these batteries

Yeah, the Ross foam board is heavier. I built my first plane out of the same stuff. Using heavier foam board makes a plane more tail heavy because more of the airframe is behind the COG than in front. However, your battery is heavier than recommended for that plane, so you can probably still balance it. If you have your battery all the way forward on the bottom of the power pack, and you balance the plane on your fingertips at the COG marks on the wings, is it still tail heavy? If it is, you can move try moving the receiver and ESC forward.

PS, having the heavier foam and heavier battery will make the plane more difficult to fly, but it‘s probably close enough. Weigh your plane. The all up weight (with battery installed) is supposed to be about 165g. 200g would probably fly fine. It can probably be up to 50% overweight and still be “flyable”, but the heavier it gets, the more difficult it will be because you will need to fly faster, take off faster, and land faster, to avoid stalls.

Good luck, post videos! 🙂

Last edited:

dap35

Elite member
Yeah, the Ross foam board is heavier. I built my first plane out of the same stuff. Using heavier foam board makes a plane more tail heavy because more of the airframe is behind the COG than in front. However, your battery is heavier than recommended for that plane, so you can probably still balance it. If you have your battery all the way forward on the bottom of the power pack, and you balance the plane on your fingertips at the COG marks on the wings, is it still tail heavy? If it is, you can move try moving the receiver and ESC forward.

PS, having the heavier foam and heavier battery will make the plane more difficult to fly, but it‘s probably close enough. Weight your plane. The all up weight (with battery installed) is supposed to be about 165g. 200g would probably fly fine. It can probably be up to 50% overweight and still be “flyable”, but the heavier it gets, the more difficult it will be because you will need to fly faster, take off faster, and land faster, to avoid stalls.

Good luck, post videos! 🙂
The Ross FB is heavier, but not the end of the world. I have build a number of planes with it. As long as you balance the plan on the CG, you will be fine.

Draftman1

Hi everyone. I am new here and I found flitetest about a month ago so I felt inspired to buy a radio and stuff and get started. So i bought a flysky receiver and I also got a 1806 motor and some 1000mah batteries. I followed the build guide on yt and no matterwhat i did i cant get it to balance the right way. I tried to fly it and it crashed. do i need to add more weight to the front?

If you don’t have any help, please get some,
Rc planes do not just fly on there own or fly well, try to find an experienced pilot and somebody that knows planes to help fly and set up the plane properly, you will save a lot of frustrations

Yordle

OMG guys you were right i was able to get some foam from the dollar tree and i rebuilt it and it flew fine well as fine as i could. I finally lost control of it and hit a tree but i think i can fix it. what other planes do you all recommend?

dap35

Elite member
I would recommend the Simple Scout (as opposed to the mini scout) and Simple Stick.

Foamforce

JDSnavely

My boys and I love the tiny trainer but we use the F engine and either 650 2S or 850 3S battery. Some have used the "A" motor but I think it would be a little under powered. I used the black Dollar Tree Foam Board (DTFB) and 2S as a very good trainer that flies a little slower and is very light. The Black DTFB might be the best shot at using the "A" motor. I had to glue a nut in front of the verticle stabilizer as the model is a little too nose heavy with the F motor. The 3S makes it fly very fast but might fold the wings with loops without using wood spars and/or fiber-reinforced packing tape. My son only flies it with 3S and does lots of large loops. We both like to use this plane for buddy boxing others. Also, use a 6x4 APC prop. The cheap props can break even on a good landing in tall grass.

Last edited:

AgentC

Elite member
Agreed, the Tiny Trainer is an amazing plane! It's been my most resilient plane of my collection. I love the Mini Scout, as I've made a bunch in my short time in the hobby so far, but the TT is a better plane in my opinion.