Simple Scout power pod location?

AirBone

I’m building a Simple Scout with pontoons for snow. The fire wall is taller than the power pod. I kept firewall flush to bottom of P pod. Do I install with bottom of pod in contact with the lower part of engine compartment or push pod against top of compartment? Thanks for a great forum. I am learning lots.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Welcome to the forum! Keeping the bottom flush is pretty much the way I build them, at that size. You basically want the wood to stick out of the top by the width of the foam.

In all FT builds, the power pod will always be pushed against the top of the fuselage where it mounts. At least the one's I've done so far. :)

AirBone

Welcome to the forum! Keeping the bottom flush is pretty much the way I build them, at that size. You basically want the wood to stick out of the top by the width of the foam.

In all FT builds, the power pod will always be pushed against the top of the fuselage where it mounts. At least the one's I've done so far. :)
Thanks Buzbomb, the three previous planes all pushed up against top. The Scout has doublers that make a nice channel for pod, with rails on bottom. It looks like the pod should sit on them, but it tilts motor down slightly and makes the prescribed skewer holes barley touch top of pod. If I push it to top, the firewall hits first and makes pod angle upwards. If I push where firewall sits out front of foam, the motor sticks really far out. I’m going to experiment. Thanks again, this is so much fun!

Capt Kevin

How did you end up remedying the situation. I just completed on and found the pod not talk enough as well. I made doublers that I glued inside the pod to contact the the top deck of the fuselage and I installed the skewers 1/2" lower. I haven't fallen it yet but I think it will be fine. I suspect the plans for the power pod are off.

M

MCNC

I have wondered about this as well. The doubler almost makes a support shelf for the pod to be in perpendicular alignment to the front of the plane. However this leaves a gap between the top edge of firewall and the top of the fuselage and yes skewer holes barely biting the pod. If you were to push the pod into the fuse like the video , you then must decide if you should press the back and front of the pod against the top which creates a little down thrust angle due to the lip created by the 6mm height difference in the pod and the FT firewall. Since many conversations here discuss thrust angles in such small precise degrees, you would think this would become a critical discussion since the build video mixes pod builds on the simple scout and does not verbalize the exact intent.

Capt Kevin

Well I finally got to fly the Scout. On the third flight I got the trim perfect as the wind picked up, I lost in the setting sun, and so I'm rebuilding the front 1/2 of the fuselage. It flew well with the power pod shimmed down so I'm going to increase the height of the new power pod to fill in the entire front cavity. One thing I noticed was with the esc inside the pod it got pretty warm. The landing gear support restricts much of the airflow through the fuselage. We'll see how the Frankenstein version flies next week!

keepitup

I have one to maiden and am waiting for maybe 5 min of calm weather .Doesn't come often on the prairies.

randyrls

Randy
I have a Scout on the build list. Considered adding a plywood plate under the fuselage, and making the gear like the FT-3D (about minute 29 in the BUILD video), or something like a square instead of a "V"

The landing gear support restricts much of the airflow through the fuselage. We'll see how the Frankenstein version flies next week!