Simple Scout STOL?

Seahunter

I am considering building a simple scout with modifications for STOL performance such as full under camber wing, slats, large timber size wheels and weight reduction to provide slow air speed for slow performance. Has anyone tried anything like this with this air frame? My current Scout flies great, but a little fast for STOL performance. Maybe a change in the wing airfoil and mods to the flaperons would work. Flying my Bushwacker made me want to try this.
My simple scout was a scratch build. I have an FT kit to build for this one..

P4150213.JPG P4150214.JPG P4150215.JPG P4150216.JPG P4150208.JPG

Keno

I say built it. We are waiting to see how she flies. Have fun with your ideas. I have had failure and successes with the "trial and error" approach and it has always advanced understanding and knowledge. I'll PM you shortly as things are changing & still awaiting some info.

Seahunter

I say built it. We are waiting to see how she flies. Have fun with your ideas. I have had failure and successes with the "trial and error" approach and it has always advanced understanding and knowledge. I'll PM you shortly as things are changing & still awaiting some info.[/QUOTE
Thanks Ken or your response. I think that with the airfoil change and slats, the increased lift will create a stall characteristic and require a longer coupling and maybe longer wingspan to achieve the floating slow glide I need. All we can do is use less glue any try it. Foam is cheap and experimenting is fun. Will scratch build it and save my kit for later. I sent that kit to Hard-work in Cuba, but their customs rejected the package and sent it back. Wish I had a way to get it to him. Will post results soon.

Last edited:

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Hey Fred... Very good idea to go STOL with the Simple Scout. I love to much STOL planes. Dont worry by the kit, now i have a good source of depron here, so i can made my own kits ;););).
I would really like to see your STOL version of the FT Scout. You can go with parasol wings like the Pietenpol. Also u could add flaps instead flaperons. And of course, as u suggested full under camber wing, slat.
I'll be following this thread very closely. (y)(y)(y)