Simple Scout Stuck WAAAY Up in a Tree!

flyinsparky

Screenshot 2022-06-16 121501.png

I teach high school and have a nice field to use for flying. I helped one of my students build a Simple Scout and during the maiden flight, he lost a propeller and wasn't able to glide it back into the field. Instead he found the tallest cottonwood around and got it right in the top, I estimate it was 75ft off the ground (the road dips down just behind the field). He and his dad returned later in that evening with a fishing pole and had no luck getting high enough to pull it down. We also did a golf ball duct taped to a string with better height, but couldn't quite hit the spot. Lost the golf ball and had to give up on it for the day. Two days later we made a duct tape launcher, taped up some dead AA batteries to the string and in two tries had it down! The 2200 3s was at EXACTLY 3.8v!

PXL_20220616_180041432.jpg

A good outcome as tomorrow is the last day of school and I forgot to have him put his FAA registration number and contact info on it. Lots of learning experiences with this one!

RossFPV

View attachment 227116
I teach high school and have a nice field to use for flying. I helped one of my students build a Simple Scout and during the maiden flight, he lost a propeller and wasn't able to glide it back into the field. Instead he found the tallest cottonwood around and got it right in the top, I estimate it was 75ft off the ground (the road dips down just behind the field). He and his dad returned later in that evening with a fishing pole and had no luck getting high enough to pull it down. We also did a golf ball duct taped to a string with better height, but couldn't quite hit the spot. Lost the golf ball and had to give up on it for the day. Two days later we made a duct tape launcher, taped up some dead AA batteries to the string and in two tries had it down! The 2200 3s was at EXACTLY 3.8v!

View attachment 227117
A good outcome as tomorrow is the last day of school and I forgot to have him put his FAA registration number and contact info on it. Lots of learning experiences with this one!
I have to ask, did you shot the batteries at the plane with the sling shot? I would imagine that would put holes through your plane.

flyinsparky

I have to ask, did you shot the batteries at the plane with the sling shot? I would imagine that would put holes through your plane.

No, we aimed over it going for the branches near it to shake it out. Even if we did hit the plane, we were really just trying to retrieve the electronics. The big thing was that we didn't want it falling out and having someone walk off with it.