Simple Scout - Vintage Vibe

checkerboardflyer

Wanted to give the FT Simple Scout a vintage look, so I bought the kit and printed out the plans. Then pinned the plans down to a building board and cut the back half of the fuselage off. Used 3/16" balsa sticks to build the back half. Here's where I am so far. Find other tips for foam board building at: https://foamboardflyers.com/

Attachments

• 1-scout-cut-half.jpg
    1-scout-cut-half.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2-scout-fuse-pinned.jpg
    2-scout-fuse-pinned.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 0
  • 3-scout-view-front.jpg
    3-scout-view-front.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

checkerboardflyer

Currently building two Simple Scouts, one with external pushrods and the other with internal. When I built the first FT Simple Scout with the balsa diagonals, I didn’t make slots for the pushrods. The foam board fuse has slots but I thought that I could somehow maneuver the pushrods through all the open spaces between the balsa sticks. I couldn’t find a way to do it. So instead i decided to mount the servos on the outside of the fuselage and use carbon fiber tubes as pushrods. More details on this modification and other tips at: https://foamboardflyers.com/

checkerboardflyer

Stick Fuselage Details - I am at the point where I am finishing the fuselage. Without the foam board top rear of the fuselage, the back end of the turtle deck has no support. You might add a cross member right where the turtle deck ends. And on the bottom of the fuselage you might cut the foam board to include the tail skid and end at the last cross member. More tips at: https://foamboardflyers.com/

Attachments

• 12-top-cross-member-fbf.jpg
    12-top-cross-member-fbf.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 11-rear-bottom-fuse-fbf.jpg
    11-rear-bottom-fuse-fbf.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 0

checkerboardflyer

The Flite Test Simple Scout comes with a dummy engine; a nice detail. Thought it might be a good idea to paint them to set them off a bit from the brown fuselage and black cowl. So I went with aluminum Rustoleum. The skewers that come with the kit can be used to hold the engine parts while you are painting. I used sandbags to hold the skewers in place on the table. And then the skewers can be used again to guide the parts to the exact right place on the fuselage when you hot glue them. The one picture shows the parts painted black. Bad idea. It blends in with the cowl. More foam board tips at: https://foamboardflyers.com/

Attachments

• 1-paint-heads-fbf.jpg
    1-paint-heads-fbf.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2-skewers-guide-fbf.jpg
    2-skewers-guide-fbf.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 3-skewers-view-2-fbf.jpg
    3-skewers-view-2-fbf.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I am really interested to see how this flies. I want to do a new Scout and I remember seeing this awhile back, it has me wanting to do the same thing. What size of balsa did you use?

checkerboardflyer

I am really interested to see how this flies. I want to do a new Scout and I remember seeing this awhile back, it has me wanting to do the same thing. What size of balsa did you use?
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I am using 3/16" balsa sticks. The foam board is just about that size so it works out nice where they meet. Plus it feels like it will be strong enough. My only concern is weight. Don't want it to be tail heavy. I wouldn't think it would be a problem but you just don't know until you go to balance it.

Last edited:

PoorManRC

Master member
So you got a 3D printed engine and grille and someone laser cut a Scout kit for you? You have good friends! I am REALLY looking forward to some pics. That grille is going to be a great addition as far as looks.

I've got a few good friends left.......
I'm not counting on the 3D Printed stuff till it gets here. But if they do, there will be pictures!!

checkerboardflyer

My FT Simple Scout #1 is finished. I took it out to the field for a photo shoot. Didn't do a maiden yet. Our October club meeting is coming up next week so I wanted to make sure it was in one piece for the Show & Tell. Scout #1 is 3 channel. Scout #2 is 4 channel. #1 has the pushrods and servos installed on the outside of the fuselage while #2 has them inside. Direct link to the post explaining the external pushrods HERE. Watch the youtube video of the external pushrods in action HERE. Visit my blog to see tips for Foam Board R/C Modelers HERE.

Attachments

• 6-left-rear-above-fbf.jpg
    6-left-rear-above-fbf.jpg
    439.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2-right-front-fbf.jpg
    2-right-front-fbf.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 4-left-front-fbf.jpg
    4-left-front-fbf.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 3-right-wingtip-fbf.jpg
    3-right-wingtip-fbf.jpg