Simple Scout with 3D Printed Landing Gear

qwijibo

I recently finished a new Simple Scout to replace one that was totaled while teaching someone to fly a few weeks ago. (Full power nose in on a paved parking lot, ouch!)

Since I enjoy 3D printing, I thought I’d add 3D printed landing gear. I found some plans on Thingiverse and made a few changes to mount it on the Simple Scout. As you can see in the pics and videos, it's held on with BBQ skewers and has a simple rubber band suspension to help with hard landings. It's definitely overkill for a plane this small, but why not. :)

I’m super happy with how it came out. I was a little concerned about the added weight, but since I use a Power Pack C, I suspect it won’t be an issue. The maiden is this weekend, so I’ll fine out soon! :)

Just thought I’d share, and if anyone is interested I’ll post them to Thingiverse once I make a few more changes.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Captain Jay

Elite member
I recently finished a new Simple Scout to replace one that was totaled while teaching someone to fly a few weeks ago. (Full power nose in on a paved parking lot, ouch!)

Since I enjoy 3D printing, I thought I’d add 3D printed landing gear. I found some plans on Thingiverse and made a few changes to mount it on the Simple Scout. As you can see in the pics and videos, it's held on with BBQ skewers and has a simple rubber band suspension to help with hard landings. It's definitely overkill for a plane this small, but why not. :)

I’m super happy with how it came out. I was a little concerned about the added weight, but since I use a Power Pack C, I suspect it won’t be an issue. The maiden is this weekend, so I’ll fine out soon! :)

Just thought I’d share, and if anyone is interested I’ll post them to Thingiverse once I make a few more changes.

The gear looks great and I really like how it fits to you're FB model. Noticed you've also printed a front grill and motor pieces. Nice job.
What 3D printer do you use and what was the total cost in filament to produce the pieces
Just curious because I was thinking of getting into 3D printing.

Spacefarer

I can't believe I didn't think of rubber band suspension in 3d printed gear. I should start using it, because it's probably 10 times cheaper than standard suspension or even non suspension gear. Also, no bending thick metal rods which I hate.

qwijibo

The weather and my schedule finally aligned this weekend, and I took the new landing gear/Simple Scout for it's maiden.

You could feel the extra weight and drag compared to no landing gear, but with the Power Pack C and the 1400mah pack I run on it, it still flew great! Lifted off in about 10 feet, and landings were smooth and easy. The field I fly from is fairly rough grass, and even with the uneven surface and divots it worked just fine...just make sure to apply full-up elevator right at touchdown to prevent nose-overs. You do have to keep the speed up just a bit higher because of the extra weight and drag, but nothing I would consider bad.

Overall my plane was on the heavy side even before the landing gear (I totally covered it in packing tape), but I'd chalk this up as a success! I likely won't use the gear every time I fly since I'm usually on grass anyway, but anytime I have a smooth surface or runway available, I'll pop them on for sure!

qwijibo

The gear looks great and I really like how it fits to you're FB model. Noticed you've also printed a front grill and motor pieces. Nice job.
What 3D printer do you use and what was the total cost in filament to produce the pieces
Just curious because I was thinking of getting into 3D printing.

The filament cost for the gear and other parts I added was minimal. My slicer software estimated about ~$1.50 worth of filament. I'm currently using a Prusa i3 Mk3, it's my 3rd 3D printer over the last 5 years or so, and by far my favorite! :)

Captain Jay

Elite member
The filament cost for the gear and other parts I added was minimal. My slicer software estimated about ~$1.50 worth of filament. I'm currently using a Prusa i3 Mk3, it's my 3rd 3D printer over the last 5 years or so, and by far my favorite! :)
Thx

Do you have the STL files for this by chance? Can't seem the find you design on thingiverse. Looks amazing!