Simple Scout

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Welcome aboard Lena01, this a great helpful bunch of folks. Any questions just ask.

BillH

I am not liking the default elevator/rudder servos location. Going to relocate them to the outside near the tail

rrc1962

I am not liking the default elevator/rudder servos location. Going to relocate them to the outside near the tail

Mine was really nose heavy with a 3S 1500. It balanced fine with a 2S 850. I’m going to build another one with servos as far back as I can get them, use a 3S 1500 and load it up with FPV gear.

Grandfatman

As a newbie that just wants to follow the plans and not deviate. Would simply adding some weight to the tail be just fine?

BillH

Here’s mine, complete with FPV. Reasons for servos near the tail: Easy access for adjustment, shorter control linkages, better for CG.
a71449c64f0b72847ba593b20eaa3e45.jpg

I do not like long linkages, and guide tubes as they cause binding, and should the guide tubes break free, you no longer have that flight control. Why bury the servo deep inside? For looks? I’m all about practicality. I can understand as being a newbie, not wanting to stray from the plans. As your experience grows, you will develop your own methods and methodology. This hobby is all about experimenting and having fun

Last edited:

jpot1

Elite member
I did something similar and extended the fuse length by about 2.5". I could then move my servos back, still inside but offset my c pack motor and 1300 3s. Flew great!

BillH

Cockpit for Simple Scout

Made this guy today in photoshop, perhaps having an IFR panel is a bit much for the scout, but oh well!

SimpleScoutCockpit.png

TooJung2Die

Master member
I read somewhere IFR means "I Follow Roads" :) Nice panel. I'm sure we'll find other airplanes beside the Scout to use it in.

Jon

Winglet

Servo location and CG

I built my Simple Scout from the FT Kit. 100 percent stock, with 9 gram servos located inside as per the plans. I used a Gforce E400 1250KV motor. This motor is lighter and shorter than most other motors in it's class. Because of this the Scout came in right on CG! Flies great on 1000mah 3 cell and 9x4.7 prop.:cool:

forward scout.JPG scout 2.JPG

Imzzaudae

Adding weight to the tail is never a good idea. It adds worthless weight to the airplane.
Moving the heavy battery rearward until the cg is good is a good plan.
Relocating the servos and other electronics rearward is also good.

You could add a former or 2 and that nice big turtle deck would be easy enough to create a hatch for changing the battery.

Imzzaudae

Hell2Go -
That's BEAUTIFUL wow!

Hey Bill.
Nice job will try and print it for my Simple Scout. Flight Sim 2000 Panel studio ?

Last edited:

Hell2Go

Hell2Go -
That's BEAUTIFUL wow!

Thanks for noticing Imzzaudae, I scratch built it using ross board from Walmart, min waxed it with satin clear then light color coat with Krylon Banner Red, and Krylon gloss clear over the white and black parts. The Min wax and paint gives it a tougher surface and helps the plane hold up well. I still have my first painted FT Dusty from when the design first came out. You CAN make these planes last.

BillH

Hell2Go -
That's BEAUTIFUL wow!

Hey Bill.
Nice job will try and print it for my Simple Scout. Flight Sim 2000 Panel studio ?

Maybe, I know they are from Microsoft Flight Sim, I simply google image search for a 6 pack, then in photoshop, took the outline of the former off the plans and pasted it in. Its scale if printed 300dpi.

BillH

My simple Scout died today. Was flying it FPV and lost video feed. Straight to snow.. Turns out that a 1/5 scale cub with gas engine mid-aired me. Gas engine and prop destroyed an aileron, and with such force, knocked the battery clear out of the airplane. No damage to his cub