Help! Simple scout

Thowie70

I recently bought the simple scout speed build kit. The firewall is wider than the power pod. Do I need to trim off the sides? Thanks!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Welcome! Nope, you shouldn't have to trim anything. The firewall may be a bit taller than the power pod, it shouldn't be wider. A millimeter or two is OK. That's just the differences in the way we build, and won't adversely affect anything.

If you could post some pics, it would help us figure out what's going on. I wish you luck with your build. I'm now watching this thread. I'll help where I'm able. :)

Thowie70

Thanks, just worried it will be too wide for the fuselage.
15698960875397478298722963586273.jpg

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Thanks, just worried it will be too wide for the fuselage. View attachment 144090
You're good. If you haven't glued the firewall on yet, then center it. If it's already glued, then don't forget the tape! The tape is essential for strength.

One of the cool things about building with foamboard is that it's very forgiving. The tolerances simply aren't very tight. We've got a lot of leeway to make things fit and the bird will still fly. Keep us posted! :)

FDS

Elite member
Also, the CG will likely want the motor to be outside the fuselage, depending on the size of your battery.
Make a couple of spare firewalls before you glue it up, with only a centre hole, motor screw holes x2 and a cut out for the motor wires, you will break at least one firewall. Spare power pod is a good idea too, use the frame from th speedbuild kit to get the outline dimensions, cut a few out of a sheet of FB.

Thowie70

I bought a pack of firewalls and servo links. I got your power pack F, will that be ok with this plane? I am planning on doing a scratch build off the spitfire after this one.

Also, the CG will likely want the motor to be outside the fuselage, depending on the size of your battery.
Make a couple of spare firewalls before you glue it up, with only a centre hole, motor screw holes x2 and a cut out for the motor wires, you will break at least one firewall. Spare power pod is a good idea too, use the frame from th speedbuild kit to get the outline dimensions, cut a few out of a sheet of FB.

FDS

Elite member
The plans and store listing both have Power Pack C. You can just buy the above motor, prop and ESC, it will cost you a lot less than a whole power pack. You might need a pair of XT60 or Deans battery and some bullet connectors for the ESC, depending on wether you pick one with plugs or not. Make sure it has a Bec.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
The F pack would be an excellent choice for ay of the mighty mini planes, actually it works awesome on the mini scout which is a nice little trainer plane.

If you are looking at the tiny trainer the F pack would work with it as well, but it can be a tricky plane to fly for some. More people overall find the Mini Scout to be an easier build and flyer.

FDS

Elite member
I found the TT a very good flyer, the trick is to build it light, like all the minis, as well as adding a small bit of incidence to the wing. You put a 1mm or so spacer under the wing leading edge to gain incidence, I used some sticky Velcro on both wing and fuselage, which had the added bonus of locating the wing leading edge as well.
The TT scores on versatility over all the other smaller planes, it can be a glider, a 2ch glider, a 3ch powered trainer, a 4ch trainer and has tons of mods.
It’s modular construction also makes repairs much simpler, since you only make the bit that smashed. The only thing you will get through a lot of with it is power pods, make plenty and always have a spare when you go to fly.
It is also happy on sub 850mah 2s or 3s batteries, which are very cheap.

moret

The plans and store listing both have Power Pack C. You can just buy the above motor, prop and ESC, it will cost you a lot less than a whole power pack. You might need a pair of XT60 or Deans battery and some bullet connectors for the ESC, depending on wether you pick one with plugs or not. Make sure it has a Bec.

Your sure that not a power pack "B". That is what I run in mine
1570055257579.png

A "C" would make it a hot little plane

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Your sure that not a power pack "B". That is what I run in mine
View attachment 144340

A "C" would make it a hot little plane
The power pack B is what is recommended as it's minimum, C would be even better. My Scout ran and will run the 3536 .15 Rimfire 1200KV on a 2200 3s with a 40 amp ESC. It was an awesome amount of power for this plane. Bigger motors don't mean you have to fly it to the max, just means you have MORE MAX TO PLAY WITH!!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
The F pack would be an excellent choice for ay of the mighty mini planes, actually it works awesome on the mini scout which is a nice little trainer plane.

If you are looking at the tiny trainer the F pack would work with it as well, but it can be a tricky plane to fly for some. More people overall find the Mini Scout to be an easier build and flyer.
I've got to disagree. The TT is very forgiving and very easy. YOU found success with the Mini Scout. The Mini Scout is actually a very touchy build and relatively difficult for a new flyer. It's nothing like the Tiny Trainer with the polyhedral wing. That plane nearly flies itself!

Your building skills, as you have demonstrated, are a bit beyond what most new pilots have. (Far beyond myself, even!) I think the TT is a better trainer than the Mini Scout. Look at my early videos. Mini Scout eating dirt, time after time after time.

Tiny Trainer getting crazy, but saving it. Time after time. Nah, I disagree. I think the TT is a much better platform to learn to fly. :)

Syro

I built a Simple scout kit and power pack B. I haven't flown it much yet, but I can say it's plenty of power to get it in the air on 3s. Let's see some pics when you get it done!

Attachments

• 20190914_142738.jpg
    20190914_142738.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0