Help! Simple scout

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I didn't fly the SS on a F pack, the Mini Scout was on the F pack. You know me, go big or go home!

And what's with all you haters on the Mini Scout as a trainer, every time I mention it you all go into the TT like it's the only plane to learn on. I built 2 TT and neither of them flew well, the first was completely by the plans and the build vid... (n)! Second took into account all the mods you have to do to make room for the battery, correct the nose heavy issue, and do the wing incidence trick with the pop stick/skewer... still (n)! Combined between the 2 versions after half a dozen tries to fly it was not even 4 minutes. Yet I could switch over to the Mini Scout in the same day and fly that like I was ready to move on to another plane. It just happened that the MS worked for me and may work for someone else as well. Oh and I did find it quicker and easier to build then the TT. I appreciate the fact that a lot of people have had great training success with the TT and that's awesome, for them. But at the time I was looking for an easy plane to fly I did the research on the MS and found plenty of people who are in love with that plane, and keep making them over and over again. @buzzbomb even made 2 different versions based on the MS, trying to promote the hell out of them, and still knocks my opinion on the same plane.

Anyway that's my rant done. Sorry for the inconvenience here, just had to be said.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I didn't fly the SS on a F pack, the Mini Scout was on the F pack. You know me, go big or go home!

And what's with all you haters on the Mini Scout as a trainer, every time I mention it you all go into the TT like it's the only plane to learn on. I built 2 TT and neither of them flew well, the first was completely by the plans and the build vid... (n)! Second took into account all the mods you have to do to make room for the battery, correct the nose heavy issue, and do the wing incidence trick with the pop stick/skewer... still (n)! Combined between the 2 versions after half a dozen tries to fly it was not even 4 minutes. Yet I could switch over to the Mini Scout in the same day and fly that like I was ready to move on to another plane. It just happened that the MS worked for me and may work for someone else as well. Oh and I did find it quicker and easier to build then the TT. I appreciate the fact that a lot of people have had great training success with the TT and that's awesome, for them. But at the time I was looking for an easy plane to fly I did the research on the MS and found plenty of people who are in love with that plane, and keep making them over and over again. @buzzbomb even made 2 different versions based on the MS, trying to promote the hell out of them, and still knocks my opinion on the same plane.

Anyway that's my rant done. Sorry for the inconvenience here, just had to be said.
I'm not busting on anyone's opinion. Simply offering my own, differing opinion. The Mini Scout is so difficult for a new pilot to fly, that @mayan and I started this thread. Read through the trials and tribulations. ;)

You don't seem to realize it, but your experiences are not the norm for new pilots. You've built at master-level from day one, and flown like a pro from day two. That's not the usual. :)

For most of us, crashing and burning with the Tiny Trainer is the way to go. Build it sloppy and it doesn't care. All you've got to do is get the parts together and it will fly! For me, even building the TT was a challenge at the beginning. Check out this thread. I've still got a spot on my finger, where the control rod pushed all the way through. I was NOT a builder, NOR a flyer.

You are different. You seem to have it both from the get-go. Most of us just don't have that. For most of us, the Mini Scout is simple to build, but if it's not perfect, it just won't fly.

One of the greater ironies on the whole FliteTest Forum, is that I took a plane that is so difficult and simple at the same time, and created a plane that is simply simple. Simple to build and simple to fly. I just cannot recommend the MiniScout as a first plane. I'm not saying it can't be done, you've proven that. I just can't recommend it.

Nearly anyone, regardless of skill level, either building or flying, CAN eventually find success with the Tiny Trainer. Check out the link. Watch the vids. It may take some doing, but that plane will teach you to fly, even if you cannot build or fly. That's why I recommend it. :)

I appreciate your rant. Lord knows I'm prone to them, myself. ;) Sometimes we just gotta get something out there in the open, so that it doesn't bother us anymore. I hope I've helped your understanding a bit, as to why your opinion differs from the rest. If not, then rant on! We're all family, here. We are all here to learn and fellowship. :)

mayan

Legendary member
I'm not busting on anyone's opinion. Simply offering my own, differing opinion. The Mini Scout is so difficult for a new pilot to fly, that @mayan and I started this thread. Read through the trials and tribulations. ;)

You don't seem to realize it, but your experiences are not the norm for new pilots. You've built at master-level from day one, and flown like a pro from day two. That's not the usual. :)

For most of us, crashing and burning with the Tiny Trainer is the way to go. Build it sloppy and it doesn't care. All you've got to do is get the parts together and it will fly! For me, even building the TT was a challenge at the beginning. Check out this thread. I've still got a spot on my finger, where the control rod pushed all the way through. I was NOT a builder, NOR a flyer.

You are different. You seem to have it both from the get-go. Most of us just don't have that. For most of us, the Mini Scout is simple to build, but if it's not perfect, it just won't fly.

One of the greater ironies on the whole FliteTest Forum, is that I took a plane that is so difficult and simple at the same time, and created a plane that is simply simple. Simple to build and simple to fly. I just cannot recommend the MiniScout as a first plane. I'm not saying it can't be done, you've proven that. I just can't recommend it.

Nearly anyone, regardless of skill level, either building or flying, CAN eventually find success with the Tiny Trainer. Check out the link. Watch the vids. It may take some doing, but that plane will teach you to fly, even if you cannot build or fly. That's why I recommend it. :)

I appreciate your rant. Lord knows I'm prone to them, myself. ;) Sometimes we just gotta get something out there in the open, so that it doesn't bother us anymore. I hope I've helped your understanding a bit, as to why your opinion differs from the rest. If not, then rant on! We're all family, here. We are all here to learn and fellowship. :)
Don’t worry me and him have a deal about he TT when ever he is ready for it. When he’ll fly that good he’ll surely change his mind about it.