Simple Scout

Meltek

I built my first simple Friday last week. It flew well, then against my better judgement i let my son try it. Short story i couldn't get the control in back in my hand quick enough and it nose dived. Fuselage was destroyed. I built that on as a 4 channel, but i was curious if anyone has built one of these with rudder control, and used flaps. I really want to try the flaps, but wasn't sure how it would do with just rudder no ailerons.

FDS

Elite member
You should put ailerons on lower rates for beginners, but still fly on 4 channels, it’s a big plane and better with 4ch. You can make flaperons on it pretty easily if your radio allows it to be programmed in.
I run my low rates ailerons with about 30-40% less travel than the FT suggestion for learning, as it’s on a switch I can launch in high rates if I need to, then switch in low rates to pass the TX or when I was learning. I found less aileron movement much easier. Also when teaching get high up first and stand behind the person learning, hands by the TX. Passing always fails. My Speedster survived this result, easily patched it up. My scout has had the song nearly ripped off too, it’s surprising what you can repair.
A98A0700-EB42-4565-BD41-49D1C7977C44.jpeg
The mini Scout flies quite well asa 3ch.

FrankFly

I built my first simple Friday last week. It flew well, then against my better judgement i let my son try it. Short story i couldn't get the control in back in my hand quick enough and it nose dived. Fuselage was destroyed. I built that on as a 4 channel, but i was curious if anyone has built one of these with rudder control, and used flaps. I really want to try the flaps, but wasn't sure how it would do with just rudder no ailerons.

I've crashed my simple scout quite a few times including a death-dive through a tree 2 days ago. The tree limbs will grow back I'm sure. I've "scab-patched" the broken places inside and out. Popsicle sticks or coffee stirrers to span cracks. One day it will be too heavy to take off but it still flew well today! What I'm suggesting is that your fuselage may not be a write-off.
I've programmed in flaperons but really haven't used them. This wing "floats" so well they really aren't necessary. FDS' suggestion on lower rate, and expo, are definitely worthwhile.

FL_Engineer

Elite member
You should put ailerons on lower rates for beginners, but still fly on 4 channels, it’s a big plane and better with 4ch. You can make flaperons on it pretty easily if your radio allows it to be programmed in.
I run my low rates ailerons with about 30-40% less travel than the FT suggestion for learning, as it’s on a switch I can launch in high rates if I need to, then switch in low rates to pass the TX or when I was learning. I found less aileron movement much easier. Also when teaching get high up first and stand behind the person learning, hands by the TX. Passing always fails. My Speedster survived this result, easily patched it up. My scout has had the song nearly ripped off too, it’s surprising what you can repair.
View attachment 157375
The mini Scout flies quite well asa 3ch.
I love the paint job, my scout is becoming more hot glue and less foam each time I attempt a flight.

FDS

Elite member
Paint on that was 1k auto silver base with blue candy lacquer for the striping. If anyone does that I can recommend an ultra low tack striping tape and warm the tape before removal so as not to damage the base coat or the paper.