Simple slender delta

kilroy07

Legendary member
EDFs work more on volume of air than the speed of the ehaust like in "real" jet engines...
so in kits either the intakes are larger than real life or there are "cheater holes" cut to allow more airflow.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Also, I'm ordering props and a new bat and maybe receiver for my nutball today, possibly picking up the foam board too. That's going to help me improve my building and flying skills immensely. I'm pretty close to having the delta build fleshed out too. I'm trying to work out two versions at the same time, a smaller model that I'm looking to build around a mighty mini F pack, using a standard pusher prop. Looking now like the widest wingspan will be 10 inches by a 20 inch length to achieve the profile in my sketches, and this ratio is close to the specs of the hp-155.

The ducted fan version will be a rather large build, using the same ratio. I'm expecting to have to build basically a 4 foot long plane with a 2 foot wingspan. Really, which of these seems like it would be more successful? If both are viable, I'd be starting with the smaller easier build myself when I get around to it- but if I have to "go big or go home" to make it work effectively , then I'll can the smaller version and just go all out.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Wow! Just found this. Wonder how this guy it doing his? He's using a ducted fan, maybe a small diameter one. Anyway, that's a straight hp-115 with a very narrow wing, and he's flying indoors, so this can be done.

Vimana89

Legendary member
On second thought his fan might not be small after all I can't tell exactly but his plane looks fairly large as it passes close by

kilroy07

Legendary member
And he's only flying for 3 minutes, so... the battery probably isn't that big (I'm guessing 1000-1500 maybe?) and I'm sure he kept the weight down. I get about 5 minutes on my viggen on a 2200 and 5 on the viper (F-16) but it's running a 3000 4 cell and 70mm fan.

Vimana89

Legendary member
And he's only flying for 3 minutes, so... the battery probably isn't that big (I'm guessing 1000-1500 maybe?) and I'm sure he kept the weight down. I get about 5 minutes on my viggen on a 2200 and 5 on the viper (F-16) but it's running a 3000 4 cell and 70mm fan.
. Yeah I could opt for something similar. A 3 minute sesh is not that bad, as it would be a very fun 3 minutes. On the other hand, if I could get my smaller scale build to work on an F pack and standard pusher, would that be more economical?

Vimana89

Legendary member
1542746613061.png

Bricks

Master member
You notice he is flying in a higher alpha then flat out, the RCPowers fly slow high alpha very well. The sound of that EDF indoors would drive me nuts.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Yeah for slower flight it looks to me like that would be the way to angle it with that wing profile. A lot of options on the table for how I'd want to do this right now. My complete scratch ideas are starting to get more solid, but if you turn that little f-16 fuselage upside down with the intake on top as shown in that picture, it looks a lot like the hp-115's fuselage with the engine on top. So basically I'd be using that fuselage with the little 28mm edf and recommended power plant, upside down with my delta wing and a vert stabilizer at the back right along the top of that intake bulge, the result effectively looking extremely close to the hp-115.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Yeah for slower flight it looks to me like that would be the way to angle it with that wing profile. A lot of options on the table for how I'd want to do this right now. My complete scratch ideas are starting to get more solid, but if you turn that little f-16 fuselage upside down with the intake on top as shown in that picture, it looks a lot like the hp-115's fuselage with the engine on top. So basically I'd be using that fuselage with the little 28mm edf and recommended power plant, upside down with my delta wing and a vert stabilizer at the back right along the top of that intake bulge, the result effectively looking extremely close to the hp-115.

Some great ideas and options. One thing to keep in mind about the F-16 fuselage approach is that these UMX EDFs are really, really light (the UMX F16 is 2.8 oz (~80gram) all up weight. DamoRC Jnr had a UMX Habu a couple of years ago (I think it was 24mm EDF). Flew great but as it took some hits and needed repairs it got heavier which had a marked effect on its performance. So if you use this fuse with the 28mm EDF, try to keep the build as light as possible (think small servos, tiny amounts of glue, etc) - I think it should work though.

DamoRC

Vimana89

Legendary member
Some great ideas and options. One thing to keep in mind about the F-16 fuselage approach is that these UMX EDFs are really, really light (the UMX F16 is 2.8 oz (~80gram) all up weight. DamoRC Jnr had a UMX Habu a couple of years ago (I think it was 24mm EDF). Flew great but as it took some hits and needed repairs it got heavier which had a marked effect on its performance. So if you use this fuse with the 28mm EDF, try to keep the build as light as possible (think small servos, tiny amounts of glue, etc) - I think it should work though.

DamoRC
Great advice, if I go that route I'll keep it light, and after thinking, I'll keep the intake on the bottom and use the fuselage right side up the way it was intended, but with my wing. After doing a bit of research it seems that dihedraling a delta has an adverse effect on lift, and with a slender wing I'll have little enough room to lose any lift. I'll probably go with a flat wing, and my plane will look very much like an f-16 with an hp-115's wing profile.

Vimana89

Legendary member
As far as flying, I'm getting the idea that I'd want to keep it more level at higher speeds but use that high angle of attack during slow flight? Seems like a profile that flies well fast, but in a very specific manner, and flies well slow, but with a specific technique to exploit that vortex effect

Vimana89

Legendary member
I'm also thinking I'll want to set up some very light weight landing gear, smoother landings is less chance of needing to repair. Also, id have to have the landing gear set it up at a take off angle it "likes"

Vimana89

Legendary member
Focusing on my nutball build at the moment, so not a whole lot more to come on this until I've built and flown successfully. I'll update if some new Idea just comes. At the moment, the newest information I'm looking into tends to suggest that for sharply angled delta wings, dihedral(though at first thought a great idea!) has a negative effect on lift. surprisingly, a slight anhedral has the opposite effect, and in theory would not only lend a bit of stability, but increase lift a bit as well. I'll have to do research into how the anhedral would interact with the vortex effect created by the wing profile, but so far I see no evidence of that throwing it off or negating it.

In the end, if I want to play it completely safe, I may use a flat wing just like the hp-115, but experimenting with slight anhedral is tempting. The biggest hurdle in building this is deciding whether to go for the ducted fan or try it on a normal pusher. From what I'm looking at, ducted fan will give me a nicer end product, with a bit more power and stability, and a cleaner profile that I can affix low profile landing gear to easily. The pusher is looking like a bit of a clumsy hand launch design, but that may work fine, especially if the anhedral option bears any fruit. The attraction is that ducted fan setups seem a lot more expensive and I have no experience with them. If I could test the concept successfully with an F pack, I'd have the confidence to maybe invest in a fancy ducted fan build later.

If I could get the build to run as cheap as possible on a simple FT power pack, I think it would be a lot more popular for others to build and experiment with, but if there's any ducted fan aficionados who would know how to do the EDF in an economic manner, by all means chime in, I'd like to know!

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I'm also thinking I'll want to set up some very light weight landing gear, smoother landings is less chance of needing to repair. Also, id have to have the landing gear set it up at a take off angle it "likes"

I think this depends on where you intend to fly. If you are trying to build small enough and light enough to fly indoors, then a light sturdy landing gear might be in order. If you are going to fly at a field or on pavement, then the landing gear is going to need to be tougher (and therefore heavier) to handle the landings and roll ups for takeoff. If she flies well, and has a totally flat bottom, you might be better off initially to skip the landing gear and hand launch it. Just my 2.5 cents.

DamoRC