Help! Simple & Small Plane - First Timer

ajit.mahajan

Dear All,

I need suggestion on a simple and a small plane that can be built by a beginner. I live in India and we don't get kits for all the planes of choice. I was mislead and bought Mig3 kit. I built the plane and it is ready to fly. But I being a beginner, I am not quite comfortable to fly it....I don't have flying experience at all....

I need a suggestion on a small and simple plane that a beginner can build and fly preferably in some play ground...

Thanks in advance.

FDS

Elite member
For that I would look at the smaller, purely foam designs. There’s lots of park fly type 3d flyers like this one that are fun to use and designed for small spaces.
This site has lots of EPP foam plans, the indoor style ones work very well in urban spaces and can be made from small sheets of material. Non FT designs will work better for you unless you want to buy more expensive imported FT board.
The Mig is definitely not a beginner plane!

mayan

Legendary member
If you can scratch build I'd build myself a Tiny Trainer, very easy to fly model. Can work in small flying areas, however is more fun in large ones. Is very easy to grow with and very hard to let go off. Plus as many modification that you can give it to get different looks, flying experience, and fun stuff.

Reactions: FDS

ajit.mahajan

If you can scratch build I'd build myself a Tiny Trainer, very easy to fly model. Can work in small flying areas, however is more fun in large ones. Is very easy to grow with and very hard to let go off. Plus as many modification that you can give it to get different looks, flying experience, and fun stuff.

Thanks Mayan.....can I use the build plans of FliteTest for this ?

FDS

Elite member
I would not fly a TT in a park, mine needs at least 3 soccer pitches to be safe, it’s no slower than the Mig 3, even on 2s I would not fly it near buildings.

mayan

Legendary member
I would not fly a TT in a park, mine needs at least 3 soccer pitches to be safe, it’s no slower than the Mig 3, even on 2s I would not fly it near buildings.
With a 2S I can get it to fly quite slow.

FDS

Elite member
It’s also a relatively big, heavy plane to fly around people. Mine is over 250g loaded. I wouldn’t consider MYSELF safe enough to fly it in a park, especially when I started.
It would also need foamboard, which is hard to find in India, plus the humidity and heat can play havoc with FT type builds, just like it does for those in southern USA.

ajit.mahajan

It’s also a relatively big, heavy plane to fly around people. Mine is over 250g loaded. I wouldn’t consider MYSELF safe enough to fly it in a park, especially when I started.
It would also need foamboard, which is hard to find in India, plus the humidity and heat can play havoc with FT type builds, just like it does for those in southern USA.

If foamboard same as Depron sheet ?

FDS

Elite member
No, foam board is different. Depron sheet has no paper on it, it’s just an EPP type foam sheet, you cannot do any of the FT folds with it as there is no backing. You can find it with silver foil on as an under floor insulator, which will take folds if you are very careful about orientation when making your cuts and setting up templates.
Foamboard is a layer of EPP foam with a slightly shiny paper bonded on both sides. It’s used in signwriting for indoor ceiling signs in some countries and by printers for rigid signs, those might be materials sources for you if it’s not available in art/graphic design type shops or online.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Try playing with the wing incidence angle and you may very well be surprised!

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Ohhh no you didn’t. @Hai-Lee now you really have to explain that. So that he too can fall in love in the model like I did.
A long time ago when I built my first TT I did both wings, (I was relearning a long lost skill). I noticed that the Polyhedral wing flew more slowly than the sports wing at stall. A little later I wanted to find out why such a small change in wing area caused such a speed difference so I started playing with the incidence of the sports wing. Needless to say it flew and stalled slower than original when the incidence angle was increased a few degrees.

Hence my later experiments with the simple cub. Mind you the simple cub has a larger cord and therefore the lift gain is much greater on the cub than on the TT sports wing.

Hope that helps a little with the explanation as to why I wrote what I did.

Have fun!

ajit.mahajan

I have finally built Old Fogey....I have doubt regarding the parts to be used...it says it is compatible with Power Pack "B" type..
"B" - Type says EMax 2213 -935 Motor with 9X4.5 SF or 10X4.5 SF prop.

However the ready to build kit on store.flitetest.com 1300 kv motor minimum.....

I am confused..which one is the right motor choice...also in India...we dont get all the motors mentioned in flitetest. I have 2212 1000KV motor and 2212 - 1400 KV motor..please help..

I am just waiting for the motor specs...

FDS

Elite member
The 2212 1000 or 1400 will swing either a 9x4 or a 10x4 prop fine. The 1000kv with a 10x4 slow fly is pretty good on 3s for most medium sized FT planes.