Simple Soarer Mod

synjin

Elite member
I decided to build the Simple Soarer and looked through the threads to see what others have done. I designed a extension to the Power Pod that’s 4” long and tapers to 40mm, and have a 40mm x 3mm plywood disc for a motor mount. It looks good so far.

I’d like to put a folding prop on it. Is there a folding prop that works with an A Pack motor?

Attachments

• FDE56EEE-B774-4019-9A60-E5DEF1579810.jpeg
    FDE56EEE-B774-4019-9A60-E5DEF1579810.jpeg
    952.3 KB · Views: 1

daxian

Elite member
did the same thing two years ago, worked very well..!! and yes there are small folders out there !! IMG_20200526_102600.jpg

synjin

Elite member
It was hard to balance even with the battery up against the fire wall. Did a second version that was too long with a 2212 2200Kv motor (B Pack). I got it to balance, but could only put a 900maH 3S in. Did a third version (Mk.III) today, and it balances nicely with a 1200maH 3S and the 2212 motor. I'll try that out tomorrow...if it's not raining.

SSNoses.jpg

synjin

Elite member
Here are the plans I made. The power pod is drawn on a 17"x11" template. The nose cone is on a sheet of Letter size paper.

Attachments

• Simple Soarer Nose Mk.IV 2 Inch with Instructions.pdf
    21.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Simple Soarer Power Pod Mk.II with Instructions.pdf
    22.3 KB · Views: 0

moke

Here are the plans I made. The power pod is drawn on a 17"x11" template. The nose cone is on a sheet of Letter size paper.
thanks for the plans. the standard pod just didn't seem to fit too well. I printed yours and installed it and think it will work a lot better.

simple soarer 1.jpg

moke

more modifications. had a crash with my soarer. not quick enough on controls during hand launch and couldn't recover from a loop. moved c.g. forward by mounting battery on top of fuselage and built a 'canopy' type cover. added some light landing gear cause I don't like those hand launches. This one has become my 'Phoenix'. Becoming less of a pure glider, but I hope more flight friendly.
20200720_161439.jpg

moke

Got some flight time in on my 'phoenix' soarer this morning. Loving it. It does soaring better than it flies under power.