Simple Stick

Simple Stick V1.4

Please log in to download

PJF

Hey everyone-

I wanted to throw out a HUGE thanks to The Hangar for this awesome set of plans!

I am in the middle of building an Edge 540 from plans and it is taking way too long. I wanted something to fly in the interim so I decided to put this thing together. It only took two afternoons to construct.

Holy crap what a fantastic flier! I finished this plane almost a month ago but today was my first chance to get out and fly her. I made this entire thing from two sheets of foam and a whole bunch of left over parts and pieces. I powered it with a leftover B pack motor I found in my parts bin and flew it on 9x5 prop and a 3S 1300 mAh battery.

My initial impressions are as follows and presented in no particular order:

very short take off roll
as built mine came out quite tail heavy but it flew AMAZING set up like that
super responsive even with control surface throws set to low
slows to less than walking speed and will stay in the air
B pack motor will seem very under powered depending on your flying style but is more than adequate and tons of fun
no nasty stall tendencies, just quits flying and falls straight down before starting to fly again
inverted flight is awesome and takes very little extra effort
roll rate is astonishing when throws are cranked up, this would make a killer combat plane with more motor
landings are easier than any other plane I have ever flown, and I am no spring chicken

I honestly can't say enough about what a fantastic design this is. In my opinion, set up like mine with the B motor it is honestly the greatest trainer available . With the B pack it doesn't fly very fast but it does fly very slow, even wide open, that is exactly what beginners need, if you want to introduce someone to RC this is the plane to do it with.

Next up will be A LOT more motor as this sucker is just begging to do some 3D stuff.

In flight the plane has a very scale look and low and slow inverted passes at eye level are very impressive. I really can't believe I went from tiled plans to finished plane in only a couple of days considering how it performs. I wish it hadn't taken me a month to get her in the air. I texted all my flying friends to tell them they need to build one immediately!

Thanks again to The Hangar for doing all the work to get this thing out to the community at large. You rock my man!

Stick Left Side.jpg

Stick Right Side.jpg

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Hey everyone-

I wanted to throw out a HUGE thanks to The Hangar for this awesome set of plans!

I am in the middle of building an Edge 540 from plans and it is taking way too long. I wanted something to fly in the interim so I decided to put this thing together. It only took two afternoons to construct.

Holy crap what a fantastic flier! I finished this plane almost a month ago but today was my first chance to get out and fly her. I made this entire thing from two sheets of foam and a whole bunch of left over parts and pieces. I powered it with a leftover B pack motor I found in my parts bin and flew it on 9x5 prop and a 3S 1300 mAh battery.

My initial impressions are as follows and presented in no particular order:

very short take off roll
as built mine came out quite tail heavy but it flew AMAZING set up like that
super responsive even with control surface throws set to low
slows to less than walking speed and will stay in the air
B pack motor will seem very under powered depending on your flying style but is more than adequate and tons of fun
no nasty stall tendencies, just quits flying and falls straight down before starting to fly again
inverted flight is awesome and takes very little extra effort
roll rate is astonishing when throws are cranked up, this would make a killer combat plane with more motor
landings are easier than any other plane I have ever flown, and I am no spring chicken

I honestly can't say enough about what a fantastic design this is. In my opinion, set up like mine with the B motor it is honestly the greatest trainer available . With the B pack it doesn't fly very fast but it does fly very slow, even wide open, that is exactly what beginners need, if you want to introduce someone to RC this is the plane to do it with.

Next up will be A LOT more motor as this sucker is just begging to do some 3D stuff.

In flight the plane has a very scale look and low and slow inverted passes at eye level are very impressive. I really can't believe I went from tiled plans to finished plane in only a couple of days considering how it performs. I wish it hadn't taken me a month to get her in the air. I texted all my flying friends to tell them they need to build one immediately!

Thanks again to The Hangar for doing all the work to get this thing out to the community at large. You rock my man!

View attachment 229865

View attachment 229866
I agree it's a ton of fun. I should actually build another one.

Blackadder

Does anyone have the Cut legend for the Simple Stick.. Like what does a dashed line with yellow beside it mean ? I haven't built one of these before & I can't see it on the plan.. Cheers...

ColoFlyer

Does anyone have the Cut legend for the Simple Stick.. Like what does a dashed line with yellow beside it mean ? I haven't built one of these before & I can't see it on the plan.. Cheers...
Building the Hanger Simple Stick is very similar to the FT Simple Stick. The main difference is that the Hanger Simple Stick has a flat bottom wing and the FT Stick has a symmetrical wing.
Anyway, you can check out the FT simple Stick Build Video, and I am sure you can figure out what the different markings are for because they are all in pretty much the same places.

The markings on the Hanger Simple Stick are very similar in reference to most all the other Flitetest Plans that you can find in the Resources area.
Hope that helps.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Red Dash only, Score Cut, and drag skewer to assist a slight bend.
Red Dash with Yellow is a Partial Cut, not all the way through. Leave paper intact on other side of part.
Yellow is a 45 degree Bevel Cut.
Purple Hash marks, remove the foam to make a Cavity, leaving paper intact on the other side of the part.
Green Dash is a Guide mark for "cut after assembly", or "bend".
Solid Black Line is a Full Cut Though.

BobL400

I built the Flitetest version 1.0 of the simple stick and I am having a heck of a time with it on the ground not wanting to go straight and trying to spin itself in circles. I haven't flown it yet waiting for a less windy day here in Minnesota. I went with a 3d printed motor mount and tail skid. Trying to get it figured out before I get it in the air. Any suggestions on why it would be so out of control when trying to taxi on the asphalt runway?
Thanks.

Attachments

• stick1.jpg
    stick1.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 0
  • stick2.jpg
    stick2.jpg
    616.8 KB · Views: 0
  • stick3.jpg
    stick3.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited: