Simple Stick

Simple Stick V1.4

Please log in to download

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Here's a challenge. The plane is so tail heavy, I've added 3 oz. To the nose, a spinner, and if I were to extend the power pod 2 inches out of the fuselage, I may, may be in balance. See picture with the power pod extended. I can build an extension and pin it to the fuselage, but what flight characteristics will I compromise?
Am I better off just adding more nose weight?
I think if I zip tie a full can of Coke to the nose that may do it. - won't fly but cg will be on! ;)
any advice will be appreciated.
Bro you need to chop three inches from behind the wing, this will bring the tail weight out of the airframe just in bringing the tail closer to CG. Just that flat section behind the TE of the wings bottom panel. Its easy to graft back on. And the flight worked out really well too

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Here's a challenge. The plane is so tail heavy, I've added 3 oz. To the nose, a spinner, and if I were to extend the power pod 2 inches out of the fuselage, I may, may be in balance. See picture with the power pod extended. I can build an extension and pin it to the fuselage, but what flight characteristics will I compromise?
I think if I zip tie a full can of Coke to the nose that may do it. - won't fly but cg will be on! ;)
How big of a battery do you have in it and where are you positioning it?

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
I moved the wing back 1", and it did fine. I also have my tail servos under the wing, in the fuse.

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
On mine I flew anywhere from a 1000 mah to a 2200 mah without issues, although the 1000mah was a tad tail heavy. However I know lots of the others who have built it have had issues with it being tail heavy so I think I’ll adjust the plans a little to compensate. Also, for some reason one of the CG marks is wrong - it’s supposed to balance at the front edge of the spar.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
On mine I flew anywhere from a 1000 mah to a 2200 mah without issues, although the 1000mah was a tad tail heavy. However I know lots of the others who have built it have had issues with it being tail heavy so I think I’ll adjust the plans a little to compensate. Also, for some reason one of the CG marks is wrong - it’s supposed to balance at the front edge of the spar.
I flew it at half the spar CG, it was fine. But Then again i cut 3 inches out of the tail. But with a 2212 and a 2200 batt all the way to the front with the ESC right underneath the motor. And with a symmetrical wing I found the glide was nice to, landed so soft

It did fly nice and it will get more sky time for sure. Wide speed envelope and almost zero ballooning. Once these FT Simple Stick plans come out then it would make a decent comparison to see what the results are.

Actually now I want to design my own, see what happens

Capt Kevin

Bro you need to chop three inches from behind the wing, this will bring the tail weight out of the airframe just in bringing the tail closer to CG. Just that flat section behind the TE of the wings bottom panel. Its easy to graft back on. And the flight worked out really well too

Capt Kevin

Thanks for the advice.
Instead, I cut the top of the fuselage and moved the wings back about 1/2". I probably should have gone 1" because that plus about 4oz of nose weight got me close to balanced with a 2212 and a 1300 3s battery
IMG_20200915_235103.jpg
Now my question is, where is the real CG? Checkout this picture of the plans, one side has the cg at the forward edge of the aileron servo and the other side has it at the aft edge of the servo.

chris398mx

Master member
Thanks for the advice.
Instead, I cut the top of the fuselage and moved the wings back about 1/2". I probably should have gone 1" because that plus about 4oz of nose weight got me close to balanced with a 2212 and a 1300 3s battery View attachment 179149 .
Now my question is, where is the real CG? Checkout this picture of the plans, one side has the cg at the forward edge of the aileron servo and the other side has it at the aft edge of the servo.

@The Hangar answered this a few posts ago
"On mine I flew anywhere from a 1000 mah to a 2200 mah without issues, although the 1000mah was a tad tail heavy. However I know lots of the others who have built it have had issues with it being tail heavy so I think I’ll adjust the plans a little to compensate. Also, for some reason one of the CG marks is wrong - it’s supposed to balance at the front edge of the spar. "
So, it looks like the mark on the right side of your picture.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
@The Hangar answered this a few posts ago
"On mine I flew anywhere from a 1000 mah to a 2200 mah without issues, although the 1000mah was a tad tail heavy. However I know lots of the others who have built it have had issues with it being tail heavy so I think I’ll adjust the plans a little to compensate. Also, for some reason one of the CG marks is wrong - it’s supposed to balance at the front edge of the spar. "
So, it looks like the mark on the right side of your picture.
Yup - it’s supposed to be the one closer to the LE of the wing.

moke

are there tiled plans available? little knew to scratch building so don't quite understand how to print out the plans on standard printer so that I can cut and paste them to standard foam board