Sims for Mac

SHVentus

Are there any simulators for Mac? I have RF that I bought years ago for my PC, but I switched to Mac in 2010.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
You can run RF with an emulator I think.

You can, but it runs HORRIBLY. I've tried, and gave up on RF. If you really want to run RealFlight, you need to do a BootCamp setup, where you have a PC partition to run it.

If you want, AeroFly RC 7/8 will run on a Mac. I'm currently running 7 on my 2014 Mac Mini, and it runs ok. If I run it on my dad's 2018 iMac, it runs much smoother, with graphics turned up to full, and it'll run on Catalina. But, it's $129 for ver. 8 - you get a bunch of field locations and different planes. You can buy 7 through the app store for like, $40, I think? Only downside is it's limited to a couple dozen planes and 4 fields, whereas the full blown version for $130 gives you something like 200 models to fly with and 10-15 locations to fly at. I've been tempted to buy it, but it's a little more than I want to spend at the moment.

If you want a quadcopter sim, Liftoff is the best one I've found for Mac. Others will probably suggest DRL or FPV Freeride, but I've not found them to be as true for simulation as Liftoff, IMHO. Liftoff is something like $20 through Steam, if I remember correctly...

sprzout

Mentor
Aerofly RC7 is great!

It's got its quirks - I'm not wild about the way it handles thermals, and it's visually difficult to see the UMX sized planes when flying in at the end of the runway, but otherwise, it's pretty good!

sprzout

Mentor
I'm looking for a Flight sim for MacBook Air as well. I heard that this is a pretty good one: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/absolute-rc-plane-sim/id534915930#?platform=ipad

Thoughts? Will my Walkera Devo-7 Transmitter wrk with it? I also have a XK X7 transmitter.

Unless you can connect the Walkera Devo-7 via Bluetooth to an iPhone or iPad, nope. :)

Absolute RC is ok for the mobile devices, but they don't have it for Macbook AIrs. That's one reason why I went with the Aerofly RC 7 - it runs on an older Macbook Air from 2012...

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
Unless you can connect the Walkera Devo-7 via Bluetooth to an iPhone or iPad, nope. :)

Absolute RC is ok for the mobile devices, but they don't have it for Macbook AIrs. That's one reason why I went with the Aerofly RC 7 - it runs on an older Macbook Air from 2012...

Ok, that's to bad.

Can I connect my transmitter to Aerofly RC 7?

sprzout

Mentor
Ok, that's to bad.

Can I connect my transmitter to Aerofly RC 7?

I can't say for 100% certainty that the Walkera transmitter will work, as I haven't ever tried connecting one; that said, if you can connect it via USB and have it be recognized as a game controller, then I see no reason why not. :) I have my Spektrum ix12 connected to my computer via a wireless USB dongle for Aerofly RC 7, and it works just fine. :)

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
I can't say for 100% certainty that the Walkera transmitter will work, as I haven't ever tried connecting one; that said, if you can connect it via USB and have it be recognized as a game controller, then I see no reason why not. :) I have my Spektrum ix12 connected to my computer via a wireless USB dongle for Aerofly RC 7, and it works just fine. :)

Ok, thanks!