Simulators

Aces_High

So, I'm in the market for a nice R/C simulator to supplement my flying time for the fall and winter. I've been looking this
one;

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/phoenix-r-c-pro-simulator-v4-0-w-dx5e-RTM40R5510

With the controller, seems like a good deal. Would I be able to use that controller with future planes?

Also, can anyone recommend some other simulator packages or would that be the best one for my money? It's in my price range so that's why I'm leaning towards it.

Most of the simulator experience I have is with gaming flight simulators. So I get the concepts of turning and things like that. I think the biggest thing I have to work on is the differences in perspective (flying from outside the plane as oppose to from a cockpit).

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Decent sim for the money.
I'm not a big DX5e fan, but yes it could be used for a plane in the future.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
Don't do it! I had a 5e and lost many planes to it. Get a Turnigy 9x, trust me on this one. Then get a cheap one. I think Colorex uses a cheap one, can't remember the name.

Aces_High

Not so much worried about being able to use it in a future plan as I am about a decent sim. If need be I'll just buy a quality transmitter down the road. Are there any other sim packages out there that you guys might know of? I haven't been able to locate any other than this one.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
Pheonix rc is what I use, I think there are some for like $40 but I don't know. Also Great Planes Realflight but that is pretty expensive.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
RealFlight is the Cadillac
It comes with a remote that can only be used for the sim and has tons of features like online gameplay and combat.
Very pricey, but, if your budget can tolerate it...

If you have a USB controller there are some free ones out there (often bundled on a disk with the controller)
RC Desk pilot is a free sim that work OK- some of the models have realistic flight characteristics, some not so much
FMS is free but you may have to do some tweaking to get it to work with a modern OS-

Clearview is 40 bucks but doesn't come with a controller. It's a decent bang for your buck sim with a bunch of helis and plane models.

Pheonix is a good balance between price and features.
Lots of heli guys like it a lot

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Clearview is a good one that is $40 bucks downloaded from the net... There is a lot of different downloads of planes a heli's.

I use it, you can get a cheap usb radio for $15-$20 as well. I like it for the price, it does everything I need.

Of course, you get what you pay for....

tramsgar

I own both ClearView and Phoenix. The former I use with a heli tx that came with a usb trainer cable. I think the physics simulation is really good. Also very frequent content updates and a good price. The downside is that it's a bit quirky sometimes, and that the landscapes are a bit limited and strange (the depth of static things isn't where you expect it to be).

Phoenix I got recently because I wanted more Horizon models and better landscapes. It's also a really good sim, but more polished and expensive. A lot of settings and customizations available, especially for wind. I use it with my DX7s that I also fly my stuff with, so that really improves the simulation experience and was yet a reason for buying. The dongle works with that radio without adapter.

So if you already own a Spektrum radio and can afford Phoenix, I'd recommend it (w/o 5e). If you're getting a cable anyway, why not try ClearView - downloads beats sending CDs. ClearView's got a trial mode also.

Aces_High

Well the only radio I've got is the one that came with my Stratos Firebird, which was part of my motivation to get the Phoenix w/radio package. I've found it for around $130 depending on where I go. It's within my budget so I may just stick with that for the time being.

tramsgar, you mentioned that you use the DX7 with Phoenix. So it will accept radio controllers other than the DX7? That may be the icing on the cake for me, as it would allow me to practice with another controller before I actually bind it to a plane. That way I don't send my plane into the highway lol.

As to the ClearView trial, should I just do a google search for ClearView simulator or do you guys have a link for that? Might be a route to go. I'm giving myself a good two weeks to research before I commit to anything. Thanks for the tips guys

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Pheonix rc is what I use, I think there are some for like $40 but I don't know. Also Great Planes Realflight but that is pretty expensive.
Actually it's only like $25 more than the price of Phoenix in the link in the OP.

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/realflight/gpmz4460m.html

As an owner of both, I much prefer RealFlight...It seems more realistic to me than Phoenix. The in cockpit and chase views on Phoenix are horrible compared to RF.

tramsgar

tramsgar, you mentioned that you use the DX7 with Phoenix. So it will accept radio controllers other than the DX7? That may be the icing on the cake for me, as it would allow me to practice with another controller before I actually bind it to a plane. That way I don't send my plane into the highway lol.

So you got that difficult decision to do... Well my advice is, in whichever case, that you make sure you research what radio you want first, and then get a simulator you can control with your actual flying radio. Phoenix doesn't limit you a lot in that regard, should you go for it.
I haven't heard a lot of nice things about the 5e but the Spektrum DX6 / DX6i / DX7 / DX7S / DX8 / DSX9 / DSX10 / DX10t / DX18 all connect to the Phoenix dongle without additional adapter (see "What do I need to successfully use Phoenix R/C?").

Selecting a radio is a lot harder than a sim, so if you're unsure right now, don't have the money or whatever just get something dirt cheap just for the sim for now and get in the virtual air =).

Carbon

Elemental Madness
I'm telling you, get a turnigy 9x. Then you have to get a USB cord that plugs into the back of the transmitter and runs to your computer. (Don't go Spektrum, I'm begging you!!)

Aces_High

That's some solid advice tram.

Carbon - I'm checking out the 9x now, looks like a nice deal. When I was first getting into the hobby, all the radios I was seeing were like $800 monstrosities that I could never justify spending that much money on lol. I found the 9x for $55 or so. So I might pick that up. Do you have a link for the usb adapter?

Carbon

Elemental Madness
here you go:

9x transmitter without module:
Here
The module I have:
Here

Or just get the transmitter with module and receiver (from the US warehouse, which saves on shipping and time!):
Here

This should work for the cord:
Here