Single Dad, 3 Children, 1 Autistic, Very Low Budget, desperately needs help!

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
I don't know about the scout or mini speedster, but I have built a tiny trainer and flown it both 2S and 3S -- go 2S. you get gobs more power under 3S, but you dramatically increase the airframe weight as well, and the speed it *must* fly at. on a 1806 motor at 2300kv with a 6x3 prop, a 2S pack provides the *right* amount of power.

Completely agree. A Tiny Trainer on 2S with the right prop will clip right along. The last prop I used is

"APC 6x4 E Thin Electric RC Airplane Composite Propeller Props LP06040E shop"

that I got on Ebay. Unlike the gemfan style 6x3, these did not break at all. I thought I had bent one, but actually the power pod had slipped back. The gemfan style props broke on almost every landing. They would probably be OK on a plane with wheels or a pusher.

The 2S batteries are cheaper, and flight times are at least 7 minutes, probably more. Seven minutes does not sound like much, but when you are a beginner, it is.

Paint: Painting is very important. I read an article that suggested a fair amount of light colored paint on top, with some dark stripping and the reverse for the bottom. This made determining if I was rolled much easier. If the plane was on a direct approach, I could see both roll and pitch. Just be careful not to apply too much paint as that can increase the weight.

Mike

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
My Tiny Trainer has been a great flyer with 2S 800 mah batteries and an 8x4 prop. Plenty of power, but not so much that it's scary. Instead of painting, I used orange packing tape from TapeBrothers on the top of my wing, and put three 1" wide black tape stripes on the right wing tip that wrap all the way around. It's really helped me with orientation - color difference top and bottom, and a distinct mark on one wing tip.

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
Good job for trying something like this with your kids Shane, and hobbyking have pretty good prices on rc stuff to.
Build something small and light first, and build a swappable to, easer to shift gear around. I am in Australia, I can"t get $tree foam hear, I use depron $10 a 100 x 700cm sheet from the local (60km) club.
All the best,
Abe

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
I'm sorry, I posted after reading the first page, did"ent know there were five!:black_eyed: So some of the stuff is irrelevant.
Abe

kevparang

I recommend you use the buddy box it will let you control the plane if something goes wrong. Also, maybe try the MicroPlanes they are really easy to repair and build.