Single motor quad

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Man! that's a heckofa exercise bike!

If they had those in my gym, I'd be a lot fitter! (but probably still on the ground)

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
That's truly amazing. I remember watching shows on PBS growing up where they were trying to fly across the english channel with a human powered plane and things like that. It's really amazing that they can do these sorts of things. If you really want to appreciate the feat, watch the attempt videos and watch the pilot fall during the crash. Then watch the victory video again.

I wonder why all the teams went for a quadcopterdesign. Wouldn't be a simple coax - copter design more efficient, mechanical more hasslefree and easier to steer? I don't know. Anyways: That was a hell of a job! Well done!

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I wonder why all the teams went for a quadcopterdesign. Wouldn't be a simple coax - copter design more efficient, mechanical more hasslefree and easier to steer? I don't know. Anyways: That was a hell of a job! Well done!

I believe it's a very fine balance of using ultra light-weight materials balanced against the largest area that can create a low pressure 'bubble' with the least amount of energy imparted to do so. I have no-doubt they have calculated and plotted with a margin of a couple percent, every joule needed for the entire duration of the required time period.

aiidanwings

I would think a rowing mechanism would be better for human power than peddling. Either way, dude had monster legs.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
A rowing type machine is very reciprocal with huge gaps in power. It requires a big flywheel to keep things moving and that's a ton of weight. Notice that even though the pedal cranks were the pulleys to wind up the cables, they kept the rear tire. My guess is that the tire also acted as a flywheel to help smooth the power pulses and make it easier on the rider and the machine. Granted you would get more power with a rowing machine, it's a smoother delivery from a bike.

aiidanwings

A rowing type machine is very reciprocal with huge gaps in power. It requires a big flywheel to keep things moving and that's a ton of weight. Notice that even though the pedal cranks were the pulleys to wind up the cables, they kept the rear tire. My guess is that the tire also acted as a flywheel to help smooth the power pulses and make it easier on the rider and the machine. Granted you would get more power with a rowing machine, it's a smoother delivery from a bike.

Good point. Maybe a twin engine would do!

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Yes I agree, good point AK.

And, as you said, the power curve must have justified the extra 3 or 4 pounds. Serendipitously, a bicycle wheel is probably just shy of a larger diameter using that same mass to have the perfect fly-wheel for that situation.