Single or Twin 64mm EDF FT Stytle Mig-25

Daniel Liutan

Always looking for something different. Always a big fan of USSR Migs. So I designed a FT stytle Mig-25.
1 x 64mm EDF, 40A ESC, 4 servos, 3000mah 4S battery.
Wingspan 730mm, length 1050mm.
I can't find proper foam board (like dollar tree foam board) in Australia. Hobby king stop selling the KT board.
The best material (which is 25% heavier than DTFB at least) i can find make it 850g PNP weight:(
Maiden successful. But no video, as I always flying by myself.
Full throttle for hand launch, very draggy. Need 70% throttle for cruising:cry:
Still working on the turtleback to hide the ESC.

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 10.55.33 am copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 1.35.02 pm copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 1.35.18 pm copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 1.35.28 pm copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 1.35.38 pm copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 8.46.05 am copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 8.46.41 am copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 8.46.55 am copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 8.47.19 am copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 8.47.56 am copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 8.48.09 am copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 8.49.51 am copy.jpg

Compare to 64mm EDF F4. It's quite big. Maybe I'd better make it twin EDF.

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 8.48.50 am copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 8.49.10 am copy.jpg

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Nice job!

I use a lot of the "Aussie" FB and it is definitely heavier than the DTFB, BUT if you remove one side of the paper covering the FB approximates the same weight at the DTFB and is still stronger and more rigid.

It can be shaped as in the "Master Series" and is generally very good. On some of the FT designs you are required to undertake further lightening but otherwise it does make a comparable product which can take far more damage before being thrown in the trash!

Have fun!

Daniel Liutan

Nice job!

I use a lot of the "Aussie" FB and it is definitely heavier than the DTFB, BUT if you remove one side of the paper covering the FB approximates the same weight at the DTFB and is still stronger and more rigid.

It can be shaped as in the "Master Series" and is generally very good. On some of the FT designs you are required to undertake further lightening but otherwise it does make a comparable product which can take far more damage before being thrown in the trash!

Have fun!

Thanks.
The FB I use is 25% heavier than DTFB at least :(
I have done a lot FT models, all of them are much more heavier than the design. So I always need forward the battery or put on a much bigger one to make the CG right.
I use the FT folding line airfoil on purpose. it distinguish the 'FT' stytle from all other scratch build.
I will try your tips in my future makes. but I really hope I can get DTFB in Aussie

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Thanks.
The FB I use is 25% heavier than DTFB at least :(
I have done a lot FT models, all of them are much more heavier than the design. So I always need forward the battery or put on a much bigger one to make the CG right.
I use the FT folding line airfoil on purpose. it distinguish the 'FT' stytle from all other scratch build.
I will try your tips in my future makes. but I really hope I can get DTFB in Aussie
Actually I definitely do not miss the DTFB. I get DTFB models purchased from the FT store dropped on me for repair and even have them gifted to me complete as I recently did with a Sea Duck.

The reason they mostly end up with me, apart from the fact that I use a lot of FB and build a very large variety of models is because they build the DTFB versions and discover that they get soft real quick and surprisingly often my builds are far more rigid and either the same weight or lighter than the original.

Here is an EDF build I just finished for a club member, (caution paint is still wet). It uses a 64 mm EDF of course! It balances quite well on a 2200 3S though the flight battery will most likely be far larger!
Peters Build - First 64mm.JPG

Have fun!