Sketch Up for everyone, a fun way to design your plane.

SWadofEL

I took the pdf files from mikeysrc.com of the FPV v3 and pieced them together in Photoshop. Then I imported the resulting image into SketchUp and created this from the plans. I'm working on importing it into RC Desk Pilot so I can fly it in there. Fun project.

1024x768.FPV v3 Final.jpg

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I took the pdf files from mikeysrc.com of the FPV v3 and pieced them together in Photoshop. Then I imported the resulting image into SketchUp and created this from the plans. I'm working on importing it into RC Desk Pilot so I can fly it in there. Fun project.

View attachment 13864
looks good! I still need to build one of these...but then I need to build a bunch of stuff...just not enough time.

baronbernie

If anyone has created or designed an interesting or basic plane, post it here with some insight or insperation that might be that little fire to spur others on.

vanstrien

Willing to share?

View attachment 13864

I'd like to try to do the same with RealFlight. Big uphill climb there as I've never tried it.

Mind sharing your file? Even if I can't convert it it would be nice to refer to it as I go.

MrGravey

I have been playing with SU for a little while now. I'm still waiting for a good way to print the plans in scale and make something that really flies.

I tried Flattery with no luck so far, the PhlatBoyz forum has a lot of information that helps in this design process as well, and one of their plug ins flattens to the zero plan so I have been using that. I'll have to look into this exporting in victor stuff and see what I can get done.

The attached image is of something I really want to try. I have to admit to a level of apprehension in sharing this plane with the world right now, but I know the time has come. By viewing this image you agree to help me figure out how to make it a real thing ;) . I like to call this plane Something Extra.

somethingextra.png

Sorry if that isn't inspiring, its the best I have right now but not at all everything I'm working on with SU right now. I find that I can pretty quickly mock something up and see if it is worth going further with. This was just the concept drawing for the Something Extra, I have started working out the details on moving it to foam and I'm really just waiting for a certain someone to finish their YouTube series so I can see if his method will work well for me.... Just saying.

I should mention the motors and props seen in this image are not designed by me. I broke them free from the power pod Jason listed in the warehouse to get an idea what this will look like without having to go through all that myself.

EDIT: One view isn't telling the story well enough for me. Have three smaller views to go with it.

SEfrontview.png

SEsideview.png

SEtopview.png

Last edited:

MrGravey

I did this today. I thought it might be fun and I learned how to emulate building the model with DTF in Sketch Up which will be really handy when polishing a design. Should save a good bit of work knowing something wont fit right before I have to cut foam.

FT Bloody Wonder.jpg

If anyone else wants to play with this and didn't already know this, the scale in the top corner of the plans is done for horizontal and vertical scale. Meaning the vertical bars are 1", and the horizontal bars are clearly labeled. This may be common knowledge but I had to stumble on to it to figure out how to make this work so I thought I would share.

Also, I had to convert the PDF files to JPEG images to import them into Sketch Up. I googled for a converter and found a website that does it without needing to download anything. Again, just sharing because I had to stumble on this.

FT Delta too. This is a pile of fun.

FT Delta.jpg

Last edited:

baronbernie

Great job mrgravey, tell us more. Many places have started articles on drawing with SketchUp but never followed through. Any help in directions or upload any parts would be a realy blessing.

MrGravey

Great job mrgravey, tell us more. Many places have started articles on drawing with SketchUp but never followed through. Any help in directions or upload any parts would be a realy blessing.

I learned what I could from videos on YouTube. The best by far are from Jason(?) here. Still looking forward to the finish on that series.... It does a great job of teaching the bulk of the needed functions.

Outside of that look for tutorials on each function in question rather than trying to learn it all at once. When I started doing that I started learning in large chunks.

I've only been using this program for 2 weeks, but I can give you some help with that limited experience.
1)Center on origin as often as possible. I just makes moving around the model easier by a lot.
2)Master your tape measure and protactor tools. Best to keep everything in line from the start.
3)Learn when to use groups. This really is a big deal. A group doesn't "stick" to anything you set it on. So if you make each part a group you can take it back apart pretty fast if you need to. Grouping also makes rotating things a lot easier.

A book could be writen on groups alone.

I do have a few parts uploaded to the warehouse. Search for HatefulGravey (the screen name I use pretty much everywhere else) if you want to get there now or I'll link to myself when I get home tonight if you haven't gotten there yet. None of these models are there yet as I want to make sure they are exact before I load them, and the Something Extra wont be loaded for sometime. I really want to make that one a reality before I give it away.

EDIT:Seeing as how I still have this page loaded hours later with no replies I'll seek some help myself. Does anyone know if you can change a setting or something to get to smaller measuerments? 1/16" is too restrictive sometimes.

Also, is there a way to move things and snap to the grid better? For example, if you are tracking out these plans from FT sometimes the lines on the image don't match up with the grid, so the spot you want can't be hit because ti jumps to the next 1/16" mark.

I'm not sure if that is at all clear enough but I can think of no better way to explain what I need.

Last edited:

eagle4

hey boxermad, i love your planes, I'm hoping to build one of them over the winter months. keep up the good work mate

MrGravey

I'm going to cut to the chase on this. I use the newest version of SU, the videos I'm sure we are all following use SK8. The Flattery tool only works with 8 to this point. Anyone else found a way to export the recommended vector stuff from 2013?

I'm sure I could find a good download for 8 is I wanted to look harder then the 30 sec I put into it before I gave up because I don't want to have 2 versions on SU on my machine and I see no other reason to remove the version I'm most comfortable with.

There has to be a way. Every other plug in I want and use works for 2013, something has to make this possible.

boxermad84

Thanks, baronbernie I did them in between work and in my spare time so they do take a while. if i sat down and did them none stop i could do something like that in a day.

JasonEricAnderson

I learned what I could from videos on YouTube. The best by far are from Jason(?) here. Still looking forward to the finish on that series.... It does a great job of teaching the bulk of the needed functions.
Thank you for the kind words. It's community support that drives me to make these tutorials. :)
EDIT:Seeing as how I still have this page loaded hours later with no replies I'll seek some help myself. Does anyone know if you can change a setting or something to get to smaller measuerments? 1/16" is too restrictive sometimes.

Also, is there a way to move things and snap to the grid better? For example, if you are tracking out these plans from FT sometimes the lines on the image don't match up with the grid, so the spot you want can't be hit because ti jumps to the next 1/16" mark.
If you go under Window->Model Info->Units you can set the precision up to 1/64" and set the length snapping to that as well. That should give you finer control.

Mustang Swappable with canted wing root
And on a separate note, I've got yet another project going. I've got a unique idea for how to finish a Flite Test style model but I want to try it out on a P-51D and I got an idea for how to do the canted leading edge of the mustang's wing (designed to accommodate different landing gear arrangement than the earlier models and to still maintain the laminar wing shape ) so I started this design at lunch today.
P51-top.png
P51-bottom.png
The center ridge is just my template for keeping the fuselage profile. I'm working out the turtle deck formers for the front and how best to do the cockpit.

Last edited:

MrGravey

How to model the Experimental Airlines wing, and wings like those used in Flite Test based on the EA wing, has been something of a puzzle to me of late. I have played with the idea but how to really make it work is yet a mystery to me.

Even more so working out how to mount these wings reliably to the airframe... Just one of those things I have to figure out enough to wrap my head around it and go from there. I have seen it done in SU, and have done it from FT plans with DTFB, but to build a wing in SU and them make something I could actually build from the plan just isn't working in my head.

Any advice?

MrGravey

Thank you for the kind words. It's community support that drives me to make these tutorials. :)

If you go under Window->Model Info->Units you can set the precision up to 1/64" and set the length snapping to that as well. That should give you finer control.

Perfect, thanks for the advice. It has been extremely handy to have that little extra control.

Still looking for a SU8 download or a way to export in 2013. I have been asking all over the place and so far haven't seen anything that helps. Surely I can't be the only one that didn't know about SU until 2013 was the standard therefor making 8 undownloadable (is that a word?). Anyone else having this issues?

EDIT:

I'm so mad right now. Not 1 min after posting this I started looking for downloads I could trust again and this time I finally found where Google has SU8 hosted. So, good new, I seem to have solved my problem, but I do end up looking silly again. I feel so dumb, I've looked for this program a few times a day for a week now. So dumb!

Link to help you avoid my shame:
http://www.sketchup.com/download/all

Last edited: