Sketch Up for everyone, a fun way to design your plane.

baronbernie

Many other RC web sites along with flite test have people showing there sketch up designes, or helping others with questions about using it. This thread is for you to show your design or ask questions or tricks on how you use sketchup.

Sketchup is a free 3D CAD desiging program that has amazed and entertained thousands of people. With just a few command and buttons to push you can be on your way. Your imagination is all it takes and a dream. To get the free downloaded program go to www.sketchup.com and start designng your plane today.

There are many excelent tutorials and different ways on how to use sketchup and well worth maybe viewing more than once. Who knows there maybe another Josh Bixler to design planes but with Sketchup!

So far I learned how to use a few instraments and design a really outstanding airport and a few stick planes.

Flynn

I've been messing around with Sketch up, I find it very easy to start with. I have many questions tho. But a great program to start with.

baronbernie

The nice part of sketchup is that you get to see what it will look like in 3D. If you don't like what you see, just change it and try again.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I am learning SketchUp for work purposes, 3D building visualization. Here's my most complex model so far:

1305526_379245435537139_810400377_n.jpg

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I am learning SketchUp for work purposes, 3D building visualization. Here's my most complex model so far:

What? No table to go with it?

Looks like you've got a knack for virtual carpentry.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I want to see it foamboard!

Joking aside, that IS a nice chair with some nice detail to it. How long did it take?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I want to see it foamboard!

Joking aside, that IS a nice chair with some nice detail to it. How long did it take?

Thanks, it took around six hours to make, it's for a friend who is an architect. I started in AutoCAD, then switched to SU to add detail and cusions. He paid me $100 for it - almost half I needed for my FPV stuff! I was overjoyed :D

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Thanks, it took around six hours to make, it's for a friend who is an architect. I started in AutoCAD, then switched to SU to add detail and cusions. He paid me $100 for it - almost half I needed for my FPV stuff! I was overjoyed :D

Colorex,

That's very impressive work! Was that done with the free version of SU?

eagle4

Hey colorex, nice work for someone who's fairly new to 3d. and in 6 hours. you put a lot of other noobs to shame ;) keep at it mate. if you really love 3d, one day you might find yourself playing with 3dsmax or maya... then things get really fun :)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Hey colorex, nice work for someone who's fairly new to 3d. and in 6 hours. you put a lot of other noobs to shame ;) keep at it mate. if you really love 3d, one day you might find yourself playing with 3dsmax or maya... then things get really fun :)

I wanted to, but never got at it. I think 3dsmax is more powerful than Sketchup - but I still have to get a powerful enough computer to run something bigger than SU.

Great work Andre BUT "Will it Fly?" :p

Thurmond

If you put a big enough motor on it :p

Great job Colorex, and thanks for sharing the chair. Has anyone attempted to design an airplane yet? :D

Nope, I hope to finish my enclosed quadcopter frame soon and do that in 3D just for fun. For airplanes, I don't dig the "blocky" look.

eagle4

ive been using max and maya for years, if you can get an older version, you'll find that you dont need a super pc to be able to handle them

JasonEricAnderson

Agreed. Jason needs to hurry and finish testing his plans ;)

I know!!! :eek: :p I just don't want to release something that isn't 100% ready.

I may put together the first of the Sketchup tutorials before I finish the Bronco since my hobby budget has shrunk for the next month or so.

Last edited: