Help! Sketchup to scale plans

bat

Greetings,
I have been RC hobbying since 2000. I have been away for a while and am new to foam board aircraft. Over the past 3 years I have been tinkering with sketchup to design lego parts for 3d printing. As a return to the hobby I designed an rc aircraft in sketchup and have watched tons of tuts on how to turn your 2d design in sketchup to printable plans. primarily I have tried messing with export pdf using cutie and edit scales in inkscape and adobe but the lines are real thick and it really is not areal scale print. I saw a tutorial using dxf files and then print using coublecadXT. I have a plugin for dxf output but not thrilled about downloading a free program that wants e-mail and other personal info. Also I am working with sketchup 2018 which will not let you mess with .rbz files. So many of the awesome plugins like flaterry etc I cannot use. Any suggestions?

Happy Thanksgiving!

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
You can still get some of the older versions of Sketchup to install on your computer. Here is a link.

I still use the 2014 Make version because it does everything I need it to do and I can still use two old plugins for unfolding and exporting to DXF. Also, you still have the ability to write your own Ruby scripts for this version. I have attached the two .rb files for the unfold and DXF export.

I use the free Double CAD XT for colorizing the DXF and printing as a PDF file for sharing plans.

DamoRC

Attachments

• Unfold and DXF Export.zip
    4.6 KB · Views: 0

bat

DamoRC Thanks,
I uninstalled my sketchup 2016 and installed 2014. Now I cannot open any of my designs I have made over the past couple years. The files say they were made with 2016 and cannot go backwards. any recommendations?

bat

I just reinstalled SU 2016 and then saved my file as a 2014 file. I will work on getting the plugins working the big issue is do I want to give out my info to download double cad xt

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I have had no problems that I am aware of by providing them with some basic info. If I recall correctly you will have to enter an activation code that they send you. If you are concerned about DoubleCAD I think Inkscape can also import dxf files.

DamoRC

Last edited:

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
You can color the lines in Sketchup. I use cute PDF to create scale plans. As it stands, make 2017 still does everything I need it to do. Not sure about anything newer.

bat

Thanks everyone!
I downloaded doublecad and was able to export dxf.
Now I need to fiddle with getting the plugins to work.
Thanks everyone!
Tommy