SkyFX Mighty Mini T-28 Trojan Review

CappyAmeric

Elite member
I have built nearly all the MS style Mighty Minis (the new MM P-40 to go). The Mighty Mini T-28 Trojan builds much like all the other minis. If you’ve built the others, this will be very familiar – so I will leave the build details out except to say it is a very easy build if you’ve built anything else with Master Series build techniques.

The foam for SkyFX appears to be what used to be available as Maker Foam. I was extremely glad to see this as the graphics truly benefit by the ultra-smooth surface. The glossy, wax paper feel of this foam also will make it tremendously better in avoiding wrinkles when you mold it for shape in some parts. Huge thumbs up on the foam selection for SkyFX!

The printed graphics are truly beautiful. I paint everything I make because I like to think that until I crash something the first time, it is a form of art – especially designs done by the artist known as John Overstreet (@Splinter189). These SkyFX kits are a credit to John’s designs as Stephen Rosema’s (@Rasterize) artwork on the SkyFX kit is quite beautiful as well as accurate. From rivets, to exhaust stains, the detail is something I never could have hoped to achieve in my meager attempts are giving credit to historical aircraft with paint and decals.

I highly recommend these new kit types to the FT family and offer my thanks and appreciation to John Overstreet, Stephen Rosema, and the FT family for making them available.

P.S. After the Wuhan Flu debacle, I can’t wait to build a SkyFX AVG P-40 (pretty please) as a tribute not only to the to “Fei Hou” (Flying Tigers) in their incredible victories over the invading Japanese, but also having the satisfaction of seeing Chinese Nationalist markings on the wings and fuselage; reflecting my true feelings about Communist China.

SSgt Duramax

Good to know. Mine is still in the wrapping paper. I was going to scratch build a prototype before I flew my pretty one. How does it fly compared to the other MS minis? Also have you flown the 13th squadron zero? That is the only MS mini I have.

I have to admit, I was a little nervous when I saw a pilot skill of 4 on the box lol.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Good to know. Mine is still in the wrapping paper. I was going to scratch build a prototype before I flew my pretty one. How does it fly compared to the other MS minis? Also have you flown the 13th squadron zero? That is the only MS mini I have.

I have to admit, I was a little nervous when I saw a pilot skill of 4 on the box lol.
I have not flown it yet, but if it flies like the other MS style Mighty Minis, it will be smooth and fast (I use 4S on mine - because if you get in trouble on a maiden, more power can help). I've built and flown the MiniacRC FW190, and the FT MM FW190 flies a lot more stable in comparison. I would definitely setup dual rates and lots of expo on your first launch.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
I forgot to mention - in building a SkyFX model, you will need to be very careful removing any tape that you used while joining pieces in the Master Series build techniques. Pull tape off like you would if you had painted the model.

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
....The printed graphics are truly beautiful. I paint everything I make because I like to think that until I crash something the first time, it is a form of art – especially designs done by the artist known as John Overstreet (@Splinter189). These SkyFX kits are a credit to John’s designs as Stephen Rosema’s (@Rasterize) artwork on the SkyFX kit is quite beautiful as well as accurate. From rivets, to exhaust stains, the detail is something I never could have hoped to achieve in my meager attempts are giving credit to historical aircraft with paint and decals. I highly recommend these new kit types to the FT family and offer my thanks and appreciation to John Overstreet, Stephen Rosema, and the FT family for making them available.

Thank you Cappy! We are excited for this new Flite Test chapter!

P.S. After the Wuhan Flu debacle, I can’t wait to build a SkyFX AVG P-40 (pretty please) as a tribute not only to the to “Fei Hou” (Flying Tigers) in their incredible victories over the invading Japanese, but also having the satisfaction of seeing Chinese Nationalist markings on the wings and fuselage; reflecting my true feelings about Communist China.
1638908413151.png

Rasterize

Mentor
I forgot to mention - in building a SkyFX model, you will need to be very careful removing any tape that you used while joining pieces in the Master Series build techniques. Pull tape off like you would if you had painted the model.

Good advice. I know John has been building the Mighty Mini SkyFX without tape. Just glue and hold till set. He even tried a low-adhesion type of tape as well and although better, still has some issue. So if you do use tape, careful! Use just enough pressure to hold it and no more! And watch out for the edges. ;)

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Good advice. I know John has been building the Mighty Mini SkyFX without tape. Just glue and hold till set. He even tried a low-adhesion type of tape as well and although better, still has some issue. So if you do use tape, careful! Use just enough pressure to hold it and no more! And watch out for the edges. ;)
Holding the edges works without tape. I did both.

Just getting started on mine today. I didn't see the gear was separate, but may try to design 3D printed parts to replicate the wood parts. Anyone else tackled that yet? From the video I think the dimensions should be pretty easy to figure out.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Just getting started on mine today. I didn't see the gear was separate, but may try to design 3D printed parts to replicate the wood parts. Anyone else tackled that yet? From the video I think the dimensions should be pretty easy to figure out.
That should work.

Started mine today. Goes together beautifully! As others have said, just hold until dry - I had some of the printing come off on the bottom - nothing major, but I'll do the rest tape free.

Also, found 3D printed designs for the gear on the other T-28 (non printed) thread.

Can't wait to get it done - this will be one beautiful plane!

moke

Ordered the P40 Skyfx. I have built mini corsair and the FT P40. Can't wait to get started on this one. I am not great at painting and detailing so the Skyfx technique suits me perfectly

Rasterize

Mentor
...As others have said, just hold until dry - I had some of the printing come off on the bottom - nothing major, but I'll do the rest tape free.....this will be one beautiful plane!

John has been using cheap acrylic paints for touch-ups and edges. You can find them on Amazon in sets with small tubes with many colors.