Skyhunter Frankenplane

This is my Skyhunter Frankenplane. The fuselage and some of the connecting parts are 3D printed. The files are available on Thingiverse. The wing is from a HobbyKing Bixler2. I found the wings on clearance for $4 each. Included spars and all hardware. I purchased several of them to use in various projects. The booms are carbon arrows. The tail is foam board. The first version was a disaster as it was very tail heavy. It ended up taking a nose dive into the pavement. I corrected everything with the second iteration and it now flies well. It is a nice stable slow flier. Motor is a 2826 1400kv with a 40A ESC and a 9x6 pusher prop. Using a 3200mah 3S battery I am getting about 12 minutes of throttle time. The 3D printed plans are actually quite robust as it does not use a single layer skin. The landing gear is quite good as well other than being a bit on the narrow side. The nose gear uses a rubber band to provide an actual suspension that works well. I modified it to have a steerable nose for more control on taxying. As with all of these type of pusher planes where the motor is above the CG point, there can be an an issue with the thrust angle. A sudden increase in thrust can actually push the nose down a little before the corresponding increase in airspeed provides the countering lift by the wings. Just need to be careful when deciding to go around. Overall I am happy with the final result.
Video is here:

Attachments

• 20230410_172047.jpg
    20230410_172047.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230311_160332.jpg
    20230311_160332.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230311_104913.jpg
    20230311_104913.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I'd call it a StratoHunter. Looks like a Stratosurfer wing mixed with a skuhunter body! Maybe a BixHunter since it's a bixler wing. LOL

When I bought the wings, I also picked up an EFX Racer fuselage from them for dirt cheap. I plan to merge the two together somehow.
Should be a fun project.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
When I bought the wings, I also picked up an EFX Racer fuselage from them for dirt cheap. I plan to merge the two together somehow.
Should be a fun project.
make it a high wing with the wings like the french D.371 and 373, where the fuse is suspended on something like popsicle sticks

make it a high wing with the wings like the french D.371 and 373, where the fuse is suspended on something like popsicle sticks
That sounds fun. That would allow me to use the built in flaps on the Bixler 2 wing and make it a really slow flyer. Would probably look rediculous but I like it.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
That sounds fun. That would allow me to use the built in flaps on the Bixler 2 wing and make it a really slow flyer. Would probably look ridiculous but I like it.
Whatever you like is what you should make. Also how would you combine a racer and a Bixler wing without it being ridiculous?