Skyline32 Advanced Flight Controller vs SP Racing F3

lpinho

Hi all,

I've heard about these two board, mostly about SP Racing F3.

The 1st one, is much cheaper than the 2nd one, but the features seem very similar.

Is the 1st one worth it?

Thanks for you help,

L. Pinho

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
The skyline32 is basically a Naze32 just marketed by emax. Old tech at this point, it will fly just like a Naze32 will fly...but it's not a very modern design.

SP Racing F3 is a more advanced more modern board with a F3 processor. Though IMHO out of all the F3 boards on the market the SP Racing is one of least appealing. I'd go with a dodo or a tornado or lux or sparky if I was looking for a F3 board. (Personally I'd go with the Sparky since I'm not a fan of any of the *flight firmwares and much prefer dRonin and Sparky is the best choice of the F3 boards for dRonin.)

lpinho

The skyline32 is basically a Naze32 just marketed by emax. Old tech at this point, it will fly just like a Naze32 will fly...but it's not a very modern design.

SP Racing F3 is a more advanced more modern board with a F3 processor. Though IMHO out of all the F3 boards on the market the SP Racing is one of least appealing. I'd go with a dodo or a tornado or lux or sparky if I was looking for a F3 board. (Personally I'd go with the Sparky since I'm not a fan of any of the *flight firmwares and much prefer dRonin and Sparky is the best choice of the F3 boards for dRonin.)

Thanks for the reply, I will search for those boards and check the price tag :)

Habakkukk

Fly Eagles, Fly!
I've used the sp f3 in my "thrasher" Acro build for about 3 months now and I'm happy with it. If you're planning on connecting your rx via serial connection without an inverter it's probably the best "bang for your buck" and if your not after that "pro tune" or you're somewhat new to racing you really won't notice a difference between this and a more expensive board.

lpinho

Hi,

thanks for the replies, basically, I have a KK2.0 from when I first built a quadcopter, just because it was very easy to setup and to learn how to fly.

Now, I want to envolve, and build a new quad. and HobbyKing was doing a sale on the skyline32 advanced (21 USD). Looking at the original SP boards, the price is more than double that, but I cannot find that big of a difference in terms of features.

So, that's why I was asking the question. I also see several SP Racing F3 clones costing around 30 USD.

So, I was wondering, if the Skyline Advanced would do the same for me, or if I should just forget it and build a SP Racing F3 (and be able to justify to myself why I should spend the extra cash :))

Thanks for your support

Habakkukk

Fly Eagles, Fly!
Ok, so what are you wanting to get out of your new quad? AP? Racing? Acro? Little bit of everything?

Habakkukk

Fly Eagles, Fly!
Then I recommend just grabbing a naze32 rev5 or your skyline32 for $20. It's going to be easier to set up and they are everywhere for cheap. The sp f3 board is good for when you move to your Acro or racer build and you need bleeding edge response time. Hope this helps.

lpinho

Sure it helps Habakkukk,

I thought they were the same, but with a different brand :p

Thanks for your help,

L. Pinho

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I have used both of these FC's. I started with the skyline32 advanced when I built my Versacopter. I wanted to have all the features so I could learn on that chip and see what I wanted to do as far as flying. Its an incredibly stable chip and works well on clean flight. Very easy to set up and change features. I was swapping out parts to make the Versa better suited for 4s and ended up damaging that skyline repairing wires and troubleshooting esc issues.

I replaced it with an SP3 board and I will say holy cow what a difference in how it flys. With the help of Rotor Riots recent video on tuning and Painless360's videos on using blackbox I think I have an awesome tune (mind you I am still fairly new) but the gyros are clean, no oscillations on full power punch out as well as no propwash oscillations on free fall after a punchout. Its quite snappy now considering how heavy the Versa is but it flys really smooth now.

Anyway either FC will serve you well. If you want to do fancy AP stuff or long range stuff go with the skyline for all the extra features. If you just want to race or do freestyle stuff any of the F3 chips will do well. Just depends on your brand preference or as some have stated your choice of software to set it up.