Help! Slodering tips and advice

mayan

Legendary member
Hey all,

I was able to convince my wife to let me buy another motor and esc but I need to solder them. Last time was soldering I wasn’t all that happy with the results and tomorrow is a big day for me since I am taking my old friends from high school to see me fly for the first time. That means I have no room for failure. Don’t want to fall over a connector breaking loose. Tips and advice are needed so that by the time I start soldering I’ll theoretically be a pro :).

mayan

Legendary member
Hey all,

I was able to convince my wife to let me buy another motor and esc but I need to solder them. Last time was soldering I wasn’t all that happy with the results and tomorrow is a big day for me since I am taking my old friends from high school to see me fly for the first time. That means I have no room for failure. Don’t want to fall over a connector breaking loose. Tips and advice are needed so that by the time I start soldering I’ll theoretically be a pro :).

Should I mention that it will be over a BBQ somewhere next to my home town :)

kilroy07

Legendary member
Usually when I have problems is when I'm using a smaller wattage iron or the tip isn't tinned properly.
(That's my suggestion, I nice hot iron with a well tinned tip.)

If you plan on using XT connectors, I "just" found out you can rotate the pins so you can rotate them so one power line is easy to get to from the top and one from the bottom... Doh! (Makes getting in there a lot easier.)

With XT connectors, I like to connect a spare mate (plug) to the one I am soldering to act as a heat-sink and keep the pins from moving.
I also tin the wires and the connector separately then you can just touch the iron to the connector bring in the wire, pull the iron away and everything is nicely soldered without lots of time spent heating everything up.

And don't forget shrink wrap, you know... BEFORE you solder on the connectors! :LOL: