Slope PSS - aka, "My glider is heavier & faster than your jet"

saute

DUUUUUuuuuuuuuddddeeeeessssss........
I got my intro to R/C through sloping (NorCal, mostly Mussel Rock) and I have been lurking about here looking for someone to slope slang with :).
Currently in Queens, where there is nary a slope to be found, sadly......'tis a tale of woe.....
I am currently wrapping my head around *GHASP*.........motorized flight.........because there is an AMA legal field I can walk to.
Let me say that I am very, very, impressed with the work that you guys have displayed here. Top notch stuff.
I am currently working on a few things.......building a transverse horizontal mount to make a contra-rotating Prop-in-slot flying wing, building an extended wing Tiny Trainer, trying to figure out how to mount four cheap geared or tiny drone motors in series or opposition to see if I can get contra-rotational thrust effects (do you see a pattern here?).
I am stuck on the idea of contra-rotation for several reasons:
1. SPEED
2. Torque cancellation....every plane I see with a single tractor motor looks like it was punched in the face due to all of that thrust angle business.....it hurts my sloper's eye....
3. SPEED
4. Weight savings......if I can get the same amount of thrust from two tiny motors using contra-rotation, then, well, it makes things a *bit*, more complex, but, well, if it saves weight, what does it gets us, preciousssssss?
5. SPEED
I would also like to plant a bug in you guy's ears about a few things:
Contra-rotational power systems (obviously)
Slope wings from DTFB ( by that I mean shape i.e., RG14 airfoil), because slope wings are FAST wings
He162 is a shoo-in for DTFB (can't design well ....not speak maths good.....dammit)
Dedicated Sloper from DTFB (non-flying wing, non dlg, two channel aileron+elevator)
There is a plane called the Limit EX that could be made 300% of original size and still only be 66" span, lets figure this out, Y'All :)
See Also: Ridge Rat......

Last edited:

d8veh

Elite member
Hmmm! You already do SS and have SS planes, but now you don't have the possibility to fly them where you are. Why do you want to do more of the same, but in a different place? Why not build an FT Sportster or something like that and have even more fun flying something that has a much wider flying envelope?

i just read this thread for the first time. That guy in the first video in post #1 at 5:00 had a pretty nasty walk (swim?) of shame!

saute

Well, I *am* working on the tiny motors thing because I need good thrust for small parkflyers. I have been thinking of making a few small models using the motors and geared props from a cheap drone ( i just dont know what I need to put between the battery and the motor ( once I get it soldered) or, if I run all four, do I run them in series, or do I just make a four motor foamie? do I need a BEC(?) for each motor? is an UBEC the same thing? This spinny-proppy thing is driving me nuts.
Also: the Queens thing is not forever, and We should be moving back to California in the next couple years. :)
Also Also: being a veteran with a disability that works part time in a big box store, money is a huge hurdle for me....my wife calls it "Trash Panda Aviation" because I freely source discarded stuff for materials....lol

Last edited:

d8veh

Elite member
You can make a 4ch mini Scout for about $40 for everything except the transmitter. You can spend more than that on a good night out on the beer, or it's the difference between taking your girlfriend out for a meal or staying in with a takeaway. Which transmitter do you have?

mayan

Legendary member
I enjoyed the videos on this thread very much great footage. @Mid7night you rock it. The area in which you flew reminds me a lot of the terrain around Jerusalem which makes me want to exprenice such flying the next time I visit my Gramps. Got the prefect place for it too.

14A3AED2-BCBA-4AA5-8673-47A6AF2439BE.jpeg

Is there any plane that you recommend to build from foam that will do well for a newbie wanting to experience slope soaring?

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I enjoyed the videos on this thread very much great footage. @Mid7night you rock it. The area in which you flew reminds me a lot of the terrain around Jerusalem which makes me want to exprenice such flying the next time I visit my Gramps. Got the prefect place for it too.

View attachment 121158

Is there any plane that you recommend to build from foam that will do well for a newbie wanting to experience slope soaring?

If you can fly a wing, a properly weighted Goblin should do pretty well. You could use a stock Goblin with a 2200 mah battery and remove the prop.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Put the poly-hedral wing back on your tiny trainer and chuck it into the breeze.

Use the motor to bail yourself out but only when you need it or build a glider nose.

Never turn back into the hill until you want to land.

Use at least double the rubber bands and mind the G forces on your wing in tight turns. You don't know speed until your glider turns into the hill and goes whistling right above your head. :)

Piotrsko

Master member
Good lord, people still flying fermin. Guess bluff cove fell into the ocean after all, 3 towers must be apartments. Torrance beach and the esplanade must be illegal.

Just bought a bronco, will see how well it works. If I can find a hill here in reno

Motors? Ve don need no ztinkink motors.

bracesport

Legendary member
@Mid7night that spitfire video is awesome! I really like the idea of sloping given it is hardly ever calm here in Wellington NZ. If it's really that simple to just go for it with an existing plane unmodified - I'm in! Is the breeze coming at you directly up the slope in front of you? Sorry, it;'s a very 'noob' question!

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
@Mid7night that spitfire video is awesome! I really like the idea of sloping given it is hardly ever calm here in Wellington NZ. If it's really that simple to just go for it with an existing plane unmodified - I'm in! Is the breeze coming at you directly up the slope in front of you? Sorry, it;'s a very 'noob' question!

Any question you ask simply because you don't know the answer I will never call "noob" ;)

Yes, the wind is -ideally- blowing straight perpendicularly at the hill. It never is that way exactly, or at least very consistently, but even with some small angle on the hill it can still be flyable.

bracesport

Legendary member
There should be a slope section in the specialty flying folder! You guys would be awesome mentors for getting more people sloping!

Last edited:

Piotrsko

Master member
[QUOTE="saute, post: 447097, member:
Currently in Queens, where there is nary a slope to be found, sadly......'tis a tale of woe...../QUOTE]

DUUUDE...... BEEN TO QUEENS. You got buildings that are bigger than some slopes I flew on. Saw a couple of complexes that would kick butt on Fermin. Only needs roof acc

glideher

I don't see a lot of this over here on the FT forums, but it's what I fly the most of and want to share. Feel free to share your own PSS glider fun here!
gosh looks so much fun when flying with others, and quite fast flying as well, very cool, wish more people flew slope
here are some of my gliders ridge gliding

and here is one with HD camera mounted

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
My latest outing this weekend. Video isn’t me flying, but the pictures show off my hot pink Zephyr. 😎

Attachments

• 2AD38511-44E7-4C95-A5A0-CA2456C2450A.jpeg
    2AD38511-44E7-4C95-A5A0-CA2456C2450A.jpeg
    463.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 70A689AA-67B9-4D0B-8071-C3AF8D4DD7EB.jpeg
    70A689AA-67B9-4D0B-8071-C3AF8D4DD7EB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 4BFF725D-8855-4D24-9863-BA4FFAC13F28.jpeg
    4BFF725D-8855-4D24-9863-BA4FFAC13F28.jpeg
    260.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 58A130C7-2A73-436E-8E21-6D0FEC2CA8E3.jpeg
    58A130C7-2A73-436E-8E21-6D0FEC2CA8E3.jpeg