@thenated0g - green foam cut like butter on the band saw - I will get a pushrod tube glued in and try to keep in step with your progress - so far so good! I was going to put the servo (as shown below) just in front of the LE of the wing so I can put the Rx and battery upfront for added weight (WDYT)?
@thenated0g - to be honest, I do not know - I found it lying around the workshop (I think it is designed to slot together, so I am thinking underfloor or in-wall insulation) - I think it is less dense than the pink foam - seems to hold its shape ok!
pushrod glued into the foam - I decided to cut a slot and remove the foam before glueing in the outer pushrod tube - then I pressed in a sliver of foam to fill the channel - time for some sanding of the edges!
Round the corners? Not sure yet as i just realized i cant do my sleeve material. Probably just knock the very corner off with a light swipe of the sandpaper. Im fine with the angular balsa style look though so may save myself time on this v1 and just cover it as is.
@thenated0g - is the sleeve too small - I think my CF one will fit - I have been pontificating on the glassing procedure and am leaning towards the vac bag - at the ends where the sleeve is probably too big I am thinking to cut a slot in bottom face, slit the CF and push it into the slot - I need to fire up the vac bag and see how it pulls on the shape, otherwise I guess I will wrap it with film.
yeah, i knew that was a possibility, got the largest they sold, but it was only 2". I needed something else from the store, the sleeve was just something i added to see what it was like. I will probably either cut some long strips of fiberglass and wrap them starting at one end up to the other or i will cut 4 long pieces, maybe an inch wide and super77 them to all 4 "corners" and than trace out 4 pieces for the top, bottom, and 2 sides. Still thinking about it. Im not going for a perfect looking fuselage with this build or pretty shinny fiberglass. More going for a complete "working" v1 of the glassrat and than make another one better after.
my experience with my jart (that i still need to finish) is that (not vacuum bagging) fiberglass to a fuselage can stick just fine, but i did have places where it lifted, especially when i came back and did a second layer of glass over the top. Either way i do it i am going to at least try vacuum bagging it even if its just a light pressure to press it against the foam. no mylar or anything, just put the fuselage in the bag.
@thenated0g - firstly the braid just fit but the length was not enough with the expansion taking up valuable length - it was impossible to get off so I was committed - I will get some more material or use fibreglass cloth to finish it - on went the epoxy and into the vac bag it went - I did a bit of heat gun work to shrink the loose bits and then decided to tape the bag (not sure why) so we will see what happens!
@thenated0g - so out it came from the vacuum bag - actually for a first go it is quite good (nice and straight) - the vacuum bag joins were at the sides and one half (bottom half) has more resin pooled for some reason - the braid works very well (I just needed more length) - I am not sure how to finish raw CF - more research I guess!
You did get me thinking though, oh yeah your fuse looks great btw, that i could do what you did and use my sleeve on the back end, which would save me a ton of time as i would just have to do the front manually.
I realised what happened with the epoxy pooling on one half - the vacuum bag is textured on one side and smooth on the other - this allowed the vacuum to pull better on the textured side and pushed the epoxy into the weave whereas on the smooth side it did not.
when i am doing my wings i make sure to have some kind of breather cloth (actual breather cloth or paper towers are fine) around ALL sides of the parts, connecting to themselves and to the vacuum port so that air is pulling out from everywhere.