Slope Soaring homage to 'thenated0g'

bracesport

Legendary member
@thenated0g - my fuse is getting filled and tickled up - the wings are getting covered now - the tail feathers are ready to fit once the fuse is tidy - I set the wing mounts so the MH32 is mostly parallel (as best I could) to the tail feather mounting plane - still need to make my ailerons (plan is to wire cut and cover with newsprint (file my DLG wing) - so making some good progress all things considered - given the wings are removable I need to plug their servos.

my question is - how will we be mounting the tail feathers to the fuse?

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
both wings covered (small tickle up with iron still needed) - still not fully sure about the book covering material (probably because I have never done this before) - I guess the worst case is the wings get recovered at some stage! :D

image reduced to 1000px

IMG_7631.JPG

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
@thenated0g - my fuse is getting filled and tickled up - the wings are getting covered now - the tail feathers are ready to fit once the fuse is tidy - I set the wing mounts so the MH32 is mostly parallel (as best I could) to the tail feather mounting plane - still need to make my ailerons (plan is to wire cut and cover with newsprint (file my DLG wing) - so making some good progress all things considered - given the wings are removable I need to plug their servos.

my question is - how will we be mounting the tail feathers to the fuse?
i was going to use a combination of epoxy/filler and some light glass in the corners. Honestly my first time doing this type of connection as well.

bracesport

Legendary member
@thenated0g - it looks like we have about 80mm x 20mm as a glue surface for the horizontal stabiliser, so maybe a roughing the surfaces and glueing with epoxy will be just fine - I think I will glue the vertical stabiliser to the horizontal stabiliser first - I see in the RR plans there is a supporting block either side at the join (will you be doing that)?

Last edited:

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
i think i have enough glass/carbon back there that just roughing it up and doing some epoxy is going to be strong enough. I think i would rather the tail feathers ripped off than break the fuselage off back there anyways. on a couple planes i have even used the red outdoor double sided table to connect things together and its still going so that could be a nice option.

bracesport

Legendary member
@thenated0g - so as you know I had this idea to make the Ridge Rat with a pitcheron wing!

I will use the front wing mount, and add a new CF tube (purple) into the existing wing at the 30% wing mark - I have also added a 4mm pin (blue) to the existing front CF wing tube as the actuating lever

The rotor mechanism will be 3D printed so all the links are quite chunky - the wing is mounded very low so I needed to add a link arm (light blue) to jump down to the wing lever from the (orange) driving arms - the wing will move 15 deg in either direction.

I also needed to order some chunky servos to handle the loads! :D

Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 11.35.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 11.35.21 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 11.35.45 AM.png

Wildthing

Legendary member
@thenated0g - so as you know I had this idea to make the Ridge Rat with a pitcheron wing!

I will use the front wing mount, and add a new CF tube (purple) into the existing wing at the 30% wing mark - I have also added a 4mm pin (blue) to the existing front CF wing tube as the actuating lever

Tthe rotor mechanism will be 3D printed so all the links are quite chunky - the wing is mounded very low so I needed to add a link arms (light blue) to jump down to the wing lever from the (orange) driving arms

View attachment 150067 View attachment 150068 View attachment 150069
This should be cool

bracesport

Legendary member
@thenated0g - the CAD is drawn and it is flexible to tweak as I go - I am flying blind, so it is a 'suck it' and 'see' kind of approach! :D

You certainly like the big ships! :eek:

mayan

Legendary member

The rotor mechanism will be 3D printed so all the links are quite chunky - the wing is mounded very low so I needed to add a link arm (light blue) to jump down to the wing lever from the (orange) driving arms - the wing will move 15 deg in either direction.

View attachment 150067 View attachment 150068 View attachment 150069
I am liking this can't wait to see it in action.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I think your design is ingenious. Assuming the servos can take the load of that much surface deflection, do you think you could even fly the thing?

bracesport

Legendary member
@buzzbomb - I have ordered some old school servos (big fellas) that have 10kg of power - I just hope they will fit in the fuse! :D I think the aerobatic guys have lote of throw and do all kinds of tricks, but I will keep it simple!

here is how it should work

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
@buzzbomb - I have ordered some old school servos (big fellas) that have 10kg of power - I just hope they will fit in the fuse! :D I think the aerobatic guys have lote of throw and do all kinds of tricks, but I will keep it simple!

here is how it should work

Oh, it wasn't hard to visualize your set up. Like I said I think it's genius.

As far as the flying goes? I didn't ask if THEY could fly it. I asked if YOU could! As a design problem, it's a whole lot of fun. You really don't need another wall hanger, though! o_O:whistle::whistle::p