slope soaring

bracesport

Legendary member
I think we are all in the same boat here!

It looks worse than it is - the more challenging part is walking in from the road with the gear - I really hope Uncle Kri comes with me as it would be a logistical issue leaving things unattended when the ship is at the bottom of the cliff!

When I was up on site it did feel marvellous and with the right wind there is no choice but for there to be some lift - The DLGv1 will be the sacrificial lamb - I have the DLGv2 build underway so that will be the backup!

I am in way over my head, but I feel it will be worth the challenge!

The Versa feels nice in your hands but will certainly need some park time as I have no idea how to launch it - I've watched a few of the videos, but when the rubber meets the road - who can tell! :LOL:

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
@Wildthing - you can see your CG pylons have been getting some use - the VERSA being so wide and so stumpy is difficult to balance perfectly - but I think I'm damn close! :cool:
They work and is nice you can move things around to find that perfect balance and not pick up the plane once. Now some planes where most of the weight is high I will balance it upside down.

bracesport

Legendary member
I was reading about slope soaring (funnily enough) and I learned you do not use your elevator for lift, instead, you need to fly into an area with lift - I guess that is not referring to when your swooping fast, rather when you are at lower speeds?

bracesport

Legendary member
@Piotrsko - I have been practising the slope soaring on the RC7 simulator - you can record the flights, but I cant not find where they store the video so I can export it out and show you the progress! :cool: I just had a thought - I will run my screengrab software while flying on the sim and see how that looks!

YouTube access and Dropbox don’t work here in China, so I will have to upload the video when I return home! :LOL:

Last edited:

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
first slope adventure (on the simulator) was a bit ropey on some of the turns, but I am liking this! :p

Aerofly RC7's got that nice slope soaring, but the planes don't seem to respond like the stuff I have in real life...It's like they've ALWAYS got lift, and when I try to come in for a landing, there's no such thing as slowing them down, even with airbrakes - and it doesn't seem to matter which direction I'm coming in from...

Piotrsko

Master member
Elevator for lift??? That's odd. Elevator in slope is your speed control. Thermal fliers up trim a lot to slow down and be as close to stall for efficiency since total drag is equal to speed squared (sort of) slope fliers need to fly faster so you can exchange speed for climb and everything is more responsive. First time thermal fliers are fun to watch as they struggle to reverse their thinking.
My son can fly circles around me in the sim, but can't fly his slow stick without crashing. I think the modeling file is not realistic enough or lacks data.

I just realized it is winter in NZ. Facepalm. If you dont want to go to the bottom of the cliff, take a powered plane, fly normally with power, reducing thrust until it is off. DONT CHANGE TRIM. If it sinks, add thrust and land. If there's lift, it will climb like a homesick angel. It will be just like flying at 3-5 mistakes high, except it is right in front of you and there no trees and a lousy landing area.

Finally: slope is generally an adrenaline rush EVERY time, even for me after 40 years at a known site using a proven plane. If you're not nervous, you're not doing it correctly.

mayan

Legendary member
After a while of wanting to try to Slope Soaring I finally decided to give it a go. Not the most successful one, or should I say total failure to be more exact.

Any way I think I didn’t succeed because of one or all of these reasons.
1) The slope wasn’t right, it wasn’t steep enough.
2) It wasn’t windy enough this I didn’t have enough lift.
3) The plane wasn’t right.

All thoughts are welcome :).

Wildthing

Legendary member
After a while of wanting to try to Slope Soaring I finally decided to give it a go. Not the most successful one, or should I say total failure to be more exact.

Any way I think I didn’t succeed because of one or all of these reasons.
1) The slope wasn’t right, it wasn’t steep enough.
2) It wasn’t windy enough this I didn’t have enough lift.
3) The plane wasn’t right.

All thoughts are welcome :).

Was the wind coming directly at you?

Try also going a little more tail heavy . Even with no wind or slope your plane should glide with ease.