slope soaring

bracesport

Legendary member
@buzzbomb - I had one close call off to the left that Jono raised his voice for me to ease it up - and yes, Jono is a pro pilot and lands with ease - he is not phased about much and I suppose that pushed me to feel comfortable to have a go - I can not stress how windy it was - I could not hold onto the plane for launch with one hand without it being torn away - unless I can crack the landing it would be a disaster, so there is lots to learn! :D

Jono and his mate Pete fly fast stuff so I can see why they are not phased!

you can nearly see my house from this video

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
@buzzbomb - I had one close call off to the left that Jono raised his voice for me to ease it up - and yes, Jono is a pro pilot and lands with ease - he is not phased about much and I suppose that pushed me to feel comfortable to have a go - I can not stress how windy it was - I could not hold onto the plane for launch with one hand without it being torn away - unless I can crack the landing it would be a disaster, so there is lots to learn! :D

100mph with just wind power! Talk about go fast, turn left! That was a riot! You're right. It'd take some doing for a slope soarer to phase those guys!

bracesport

Legendary member
@buzzbomb - it gets worse - Jono has a personal best of 264 Mph on that site in the video, and the guy who put me onto Jono (Alex Hewson, another Kiwi from down south) is currently 6th fastest in the world with a PB of a meer 456 Mph! :D

It is a crazy world we live in!

Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 2.42.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 2.41.58 PM.png

Wildthing

Legendary member

Just a relaxing little Sunday cruise in my glider :D :D
Those look like some good sized planes and boy how far is that little hike?

Piotrsko

Master member
It's a wonder they don't snap in half, heck even at 300mph :)

Anything above a hundred, you tend not to do silly things because it digs a hole before you can react. They're not flying where the plane is at, they're anticipating where it will be. Watch one loose concentration then really soon thereafter a pile of aircraft or a puff of parts in the air. A servo twitch kills the plane. Radio LOS could kill you. Josh's reaction is many years of experience doing just that, incorrectly, because there is no sim or school for that style.

They are also 10 -20 times stronger than everything else. You flying it slow would never damage it. It would also be boring because they are super stable. I've been to a hundred plus. I don't like it because it's way to hard for me and I puffed a radio.

Last edited:

sundown57

Legendary member
@Wildthing - Jono's home cliff site is a 40-minute drive from home (not horrific, but not so great for a quick outing - my southerly site from my first Slope outing is only 7 minutes away - I have a north-facing site close as well (third image) and so for solo flying I can cover both wind directions fairly close to home - nothing like flying with friends though!

View attachment 146579 View attachment 146580 View attachment 146581
you know you're a bit isolated when your entire choices are ( rt1 or rt2 ). All maps should be that easy . lol

bracesport

Legendary member
@Piotrsko - I might be getting ahead of myself, but I thought I would resurrect my warmliner and have a crack on the slope!

One aileron control horn is broken, but other than that it is in reasonable shape after 15+ years on the wall!

I will 3D print a nose cone and add some weight to the nose

Image reduced to 1000px

DDC260C1-FF0F-41B8-BE1F-9EA8EF022ACE.jpeg

Piotrsko

Master member
Weight under CG if it flew good, otherwise not more than 1/4 oz 100 gm in nose. No need to get all googlie after flying with the fast boys, just fly calmer days. Fix it, fly it, otherwise no excuses because you've already sacrificed a plane to the lift gods. Looky at all them planes just a hanging there.