slope soaring

bracesport

Legendary member
I build a DLG style glider a while back, and I have been keen to try it on the slope - today was supposed to be a light southerly so I could try my slope site, But it turned out to be a gusty northerly - so instead I went to the park to maiden it with some hand launches (went well I think) - I am glad I did as the rates were way too high on the ailerons!

bracesport

Legendary member
@Mid7night - the hotliner stares at me every day from the wall - It might not seem like it yet, but every time I go out my confidence is improving and I bring my ships home intact - I am really looking forward to cracking the slope soon!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I build a DLG style glider a while back, and I have been keen to try it on the slope - today was supposed to be a light southerly so I could try my slope site, But it turned out to be a gusty northerly - so instead I went to the park to maiden it with some hand launches (went well I think) - I am glad I did as the rates were way too high on the ailerons!

Flights are looking great! From the porpoising it looks like she might be a touch tail heavy - or perhaps the wing incidence needs to be up just a tiny tiny bit - maybe a half a degree up on the leading edge, or maybe just a touch of down elevator trim. The glide slope looks great though, and she looks nice and predictable with a straight forward stall - I think you have a great performing glider there! :D

Piotrsko

Master member
Looks like your flying too slow. Launches great, but as it climbs it slows, gets bobble -y and mushy then does a tiny stall. Great stall response, no tip dropping just drops nose a bit and flies on. Add a click of down.

Excellent trainer. Great flying, you'll be OK. Time for me to move on.

bracesport

Legendary member
@mayan - I looked for the post from @mackatack but I could not find a wing launch - I have been studying the discus launch, and I suspect I have the outer wing elevated on rotation giving more lift and creating most of the rollover - I did, however, find this wing launched V tail!

mayan

Legendary member
@mayan - I looked for the post from @mackatack but I could not find a wing launch - I have been studying the discus launch, and I suspect I have the outer wing elevated on rotation giving more lift and creating most of the rollover - I did, however, find this wing launched V tail!

He does the discuss launch.

Tronglodon

Here's some video from my first real slope soaring outing with the Alula. Two flights totaling about ten minutes each. I'm no expert yet so both my landings were more like controlled crashes in the bushes in front of me. There's actually a great big spot for landing behind the ridge but today it was full of families so I wasn't going to try it.

mayan

Legendary member

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Here's some video from my first real slope soaring outing with the Alula. Two flights totaling about ten minutes each. I'm no expert yet so both my landings were more like controlled crashes in the bushes in front of me. There's actually a great big spot for landing behind the ridge but today it was full of families so I wasn't going to try it.

Also Jealous...
I do miss those steady predictable winds down there (yes DOWN THERE, since to a lot of us, Laguna is not in fact the top of the world! :ROFLMAO:)

I used to do a lot of sailing and surfing around SoCal when I was stationed there... fun to see you guys flying out there!

Piotrsko

Master member
Yes, it is exceptional. DROOL. However, not to harp (but I will anyways), there are no, none, nada, zilch, probability < .1 pictures or videos or other reports of flying under your control on a slope. And with your previously demonstrated glider chucking ability you could do a loop, couple of rolls, and maybe 3 laps before losing enough altitude to land on a zero lift day with a brick.