slope soaring

Wildthing

Legendary member
Back to the slope with a glider today - again at Torrey Pines as it is similar to my slope site - I went for a bigger glider the 'Storm 3.2m @3.0kgs' and dialled up the wind a bit more to 12m/s - the guys at our slope like to fly in high winds so I really need to crank it up to around 15-17m/s to get to 60 kph - even though I had the rates at 50% but I was still getting blown about - I have started to get comfortable relaxing when getting in behind the slope!

Video grab is still a bit low quality (something to work on) - turn on 1080 HD. :D

I have never really played with the gliders in RF, I might have to. Can you load your own models into the sim, that way you could test them?

herbertjalarcon

Elite member
@herbertjalarcon - nice video - have you done one for down wind turns?

Regards,
Phil
This is just my second VLOG, and it will feature all styles of flying, but I will put down wind turns down to talk about the next time I have a soaring section...thinking about making soaring a small segment every VLOG...but still thinking... do you have questions about them?

Tronglodon

There's a bit of slope soaring from last weekend in this video after the fpv bit. Sloping starts about 5 and a half minutes in. It was really cloudy when my son and I were up there, and only started to clear up when we walked back down the hill. By the time we were at the bottom of the hill there were 5 or 6 para-gliders up in the air, flying from the top of the hill where we were slope soaring down to the beach below.

Tronglodon

Well in the last 48 hours I have gone to two fantastic sloping sites, Hazard Reef Canyon in Montaña de Oro California and Ellwood Bluffs in Goleta California. Brought my Alula ready to fly both times, and both times the wind was dead still. *sad trombone sounds effect*