Slow And Steady Wins The Racer!!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
ftsbk100.jpg

Ever since I found FT I have always wanted to build every plane they offer and then some. One of the planes that was a goal of mine was the FT Racer once I got good enough to pilot one. I will admit in the beginning I was intimidated by it but I have loved and lost enough planes to get my FT Racer ticket. I actually forgot about it all summer until lately, I got the Racer itch in the cold of winter.

This is a group build thread if anyone would like to join up. I know a couple who are possible's, @mayan being one. Feel free to modify as much as you like, post your progress and be sure to get vids of your maidens. This should be a fun build and even better to watch what every one comes up with. Good luck and happy building

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I got started already, I watched the build vid again and seeing the wide fuse was almost a deal breaker, but I was inspired by the shape of the FT Edge. I liked how it has a wide flat nose and narrows down all the way to the tail, so I did away with the box around the wing and started the taper right behind the motor...
20200116_212802.jpg

I cut out the bottom from the plans and trimmed down the rectangle and carried it to the tail. I also cut the folded top off and will be doing a top hatch for the battery...
20200116_221120.jpg

Fuse folded up and here you can see the profile of the plane...
20200116_221203.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
For this build I’m going to be trying the black dtfb. I got it once a long time ago and the paper seemed to desperate too easily, but I’ve seen quite a few people using it lately and they said it’s better lately so I picked some up and I’ll be using it in the wings.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
For this build I’m going to be trying the black dtfb. I got it once a long time ago and the paper seemed to desperate too easily, but I’ve seen quite a few people using it lately and they said it’s better lately so I picked some up and I’ll be using it in the wings.
That's the same as my Spit from way back, black wings white fuse

Hondo76251

Legendary member

I just did a little project with my boys the other day with some. It's on par with normal DTFB in my experience. Not as good as FT board but much lighter than the Walmart or other heavy types...

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I think I am starting to capture the look of the Edge on the nose, took some experimental pieces to figure this fold out, never done one before but I think it turned out awesome...
20200117_010046.jpg

and it worked out that it lines up with the rest of the fuse...
20200117_010114.jpg

Now I have to do the same thing for the bottom. Instead of going with the nostrils of the Slinger version this will be my air intake for cooling. I am getting excited for this one!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I did the same on my old Spit, black wings white fuse, looks good I think

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I think I am starting to capture the look of the Edge on the nose, took some experimental pieces to figure this fold out, never done one before but I think it turned out awesome... View attachment 154937
and it worked out that it lines up with the rest of the fuse... View attachment 154938
Now I have to do the same thing for the bottom. Instead of going with the nostrils of the Slinger version this will be my air intake for cooling. I am getting excited for this one!
I love how it’s coming along!