Slow Fly Multirotor?

badgerboss

Hi Flight Test! I am fascinated by this Atlas human powered helicopter:

Has anyone seen this concept used to create a slow fly drone/multirotor? I realize such a light aircraft would be impractical as a platform for filming etc, but I am drawn to the potential for silent operation.

Thanks!

-Badger

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Its impractical to do. NOT impossible but impractical. You see the scale of that one in the video. Would be pretty similar on smaller models. The size vs performance would be a challenge. I do want to ask why you are interested in silent operation. That implies nefarious use when coupled with the word Drone. The size a silent running quad like that vehicle would destroy any of the "stealth" gained by silent operation let alone severely limit flight in anything less then perfect conditions. Bigger high pitch slow turning blades equals less noise but nothing produced so far has been remotely silent.

badgerboss

PsyBorg: Haha, I'm not really interested in "stealth", I just find the silence / slower pace of slow flyers more relaxing and friendly. Similar to a blimp, or some giant majestic bird.

I'm also curious about the potential of large multirotors in transportation. The air taxi concepts I've seen seem too noisy for approval in cities. Where I live in downtown Brooklyn, NY people even protest about sightseeing helicopters.

I had imagined slow flying drones would be less popular than slow flying fixed wings (which seem very common), but I haven't found a single example besides that Atlas human powered helicopter!

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Probably because the size needed to achieve the silent / slow fly properties is too disproportionate with current tech. I don't see personal or commercial use flying transportation happening too soon. The world will have to get a grip on issues that arise from the expansion of land based EV transportation before anything in the air can be addressed. Heck people cant parallel park anymore let alone drop a flying vehicle into a close area to park.

Everyone has these bright ideas for really cool things yet they forget to factor in the devolution of humanity. Its hard enough to get people to even speak in full concise sentences let alone speak about or accomplish anything technical in the general population.

badgerboss

I agree, air taxis seem like pie in the sky at this point. There was a helicopter ferry to LaGuardia called New York Airways. I could see that being revived. It has a pretty good excuse for closing though, one day a chopper failed to land and the blades slashed 4 people to death before falling 59 stories and crushing one more!

I think I'll try some simple calculations on the feasibility of a slow fly quad. The gearboxes might be too heavy, I'm imagining the rotors would spin slower than the propeller on a fixed wing. I wonder if a ringed rotor could be used as a pully speed reducer.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I agree, air taxis seem like pie in the sky at this point. There was a helicopter ferry to LaGuardia called New York Airways. I could see that being revived. It has a pretty good excuse for closing though, one day a chopper failed to land and the blades slashed 4 people to death before falling 59 stories and crushing one more!

I think I'll try some simple calculations on the feasibility of a slow fly quad. The gearboxes might be too heavy, I'm imagining the rotors would spin slower than the propeller on a fixed wing. I wonder if a ringed rotor could be used as a pully speed reducer.

It will be all about weight management for sure. Hardest hurdle is what power train as battery and motor will be your largest weights to manage.