Small slope/bank soaring

davereap

How about doing some more slope soaring...
Ive seen in a lot of your videos a raised oval track...
The banks around the oval are high enough in places to get some slope lift.. my dunes where I sometimes fly are about the same height...

so please give it a go.. a small glider like you've already made should work...

Julez

WOT and going nowhere
The raised oval track you're referring to is at Chad Kapper's house, where the show was shot before stonekap and Flite Test became independent. I would like to see more slope soaring though...

Corbarrad

Well, there's this enormous heap of earth that seems to be growing and growing in the area where they do the maidens after the build vids.
Don't know how safe or legal it is to climb, though...

earthsciteach

Hey, Flite Test crew! I have an awesome (defined as, you better be ready to work to get your plane back) slope locally. Hit me up if you want to do a slope soaring episode without going to California!

ttprigg

Great idea Dave! I'm about 1.5 hours from the ocean and I have thought many times about trying (again) to fashion one of the weasel or alura clones out of DTFB. My first attempt looked good but by the time I got it balanced it was way too heavy. I decided it was not worth the drive... Are you thinking the Tiny Trainer would be a good starting point?

Julez

WOT and going nowhere
Well, there's this enormous heap of earth that seems to be growing and growing in the area where they do the maidens after the build vids.
Don't know how safe or legal it is to climb, though...

Ahhhh... THAT mound! I had a blank moment there. I suppose that might work... There's only one way to find out. :D

I'd bet the FT Simple Soarer wouldn't take much of a hill to keep it in the air. I just did the first test throws with mine, and it glides really well! I can't wait to get it on a slope! Video to come, as soon as wind/weather conditions are right!

DKchris

If you have sufficient wind from a reasonable direction and a suitable plane for the job, it really doesn't take much of a slope to fly:

Ok......some skills don't hurt either.......

Last edited:

DKchris

Admittedly, with the current low winds in mid Ohio......more like the superlight Wiesel.......but yes......a candidate indeed....