Small.. very small

LordPuddingCup

I’m learning fpv with a 65mm quad and have lots of extra 31mm props and brushed 7x16mm motors...

was wondering if I could roll this into a micro plane project

Wanted to maybe get a cheap nano pwm frsky receiver and smallest Servos I could find for a few bucks and put together a plane to have some other options for flying in my yard.

Was wondering if anyone could point me toward a diy build for this size maybe 2 motors and those props I have? Could it work?

I’ve seen someone take a tiny 20mm drone and make a paper airplane flyable so figure dual props that are 2x the size should be able to fly something a little bigger? Hell maybe 4 props?

I was even trying to see if theirs any way to calculate and simulate something on pc but haven’t found a way yet lol, trying to not spend much

I’m learning fpv with a 65mm quad and have lots of extra 31mm props and brushed 7x16mm motors...

was wondering if I could roll this into a micro plane project

Wanted to maybe get a cheap nano pwm frsky receiver and smallest Servos I could find for a few bucks and put together a plane to have some other options for flying in my yard.

Was wondering if anyone could point me toward a diy build for this size maybe 2 motors and those props I have? Could it work?

I’ve seen someone take a tiny 20mm drone and make a paper airplane flyable so figure dual props that are 2x the size should be able to fly something a little bigger? Hell maybe 4 props?

I was even trying to see if theirs any way to calculate and simulate something on pc but haven’t found a way yet lol, trying to not spend much
Here's a thread that might keep you busy for a bit! https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/ft-ez-three-pack-plans.63233/
There are a lot of great ideas, projects & pics in there that I've found inspiring.

quorneng

Master member
At 24" span perhaps a bit bigger than you intend but the principle in there.
Complete1.JPG

Made in 3 mm Depron with just two strips of balsa to hold the motors.
Rudder, elevator and throttle control using 3.7 g servos and a lightweight 4 ch Rx.
100_5367.JPG

It has a 500 mAh 2 s in the nose.
Flies quite well considering its modest power.
The date on the video is correct. 8 years later and I still have it although now 'retired'.

Attachments

• Complete1.JPG
    Complete1.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
At 24" span perhaps a bit bigger than you intend but the principle in there.
View attachment 198792
Made in 3 mm Depron with just two strips of balsa to hold the motors.
Rudder, elevator and throttle control using 3.7 g servos and a lightweight 4 ch Rx.
View attachment 198793
It has a 500 mAh 2 s in the nose.
Flies quite well considering its modest power.
The date on the video is correct. 8 years later and I still have it although now 'retired'.
Love the little plane! It looks gentle. What's the wingspan?

Hondo76251

Legendary member
20 to 24" seems about right on the two motor ones:
20200524_221450.jpg

Im limited ro 18" on the wingspan because of the micro/ez challenge im doing with this one:
20210417_220943.jpg

But 4 8520 motors is plenty of power! (And a lot of extra weight 🙄)
20210416_232148.jpg

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I have a RMRC FreeFly glider that I got "free". Been wanting to do this to it for a while. Been a toss up if I go brushed or brushless. I have nano servos, RXes, A brushed FC or two, etc...
If you keep weight and modifications to a min those little chuck gliders are a lot of fun on pair or 8020 or larger brushed motors.

HiTec used to make a slightly larger chuck glider that was the perfect size for RC conversion.

20210422_075242.jpg

They were 24" and much more rigid than the 18-19" ones. The RMRC ones are nice but beware the BG ones. They look identical, and can be made to work but their foam is almost "floppy" and requires a lot of reinforcement.

Another fun thing for these smaller builds is to use the RMRC glider wing and build your own fuselage...

Phin G

Elite member
If you keep weight and modifications to a min those little chuck gliders are a lot of fun on pair or 8020 or larger brushed motors.

HiTec used to make a slightly larger chuck glider that was the perfect size for RC conversion.

View attachment 198811

They were 24" and much more rigid than the 18-19" ones. The RMRC ones are nice but beware the BG ones. They look identical, and can be made to work but their foam is almost "floppy" and requires a lot of reinforcement.

Another fun thing for these smaller builds is to use the RMRC glider wing and build your own fuselage...
I have a 1m wingspan glider from lidl(like a walmart)

cyclone3350

Master member
I bought this one in Meijer. It has a 48" WS and looks like a potential to make a descent RC bird. I have boxes, and boxes, of odds and ends parts that I buy on clearance or at swap meets. I pulled this EDF and nacelle out of the stack of stuff. The goal, whenever I get to it, will be to make it into a top pod mounted 64mm EDF. BTW that is about 25% of what I have in the basement, and I still have a 10 x 15 storage room filled with even more junk.
IMG_4562.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4558.jpg
    IMG_4558.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4561.jpg
    IMG_4561.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I bought this one in Meijer. It has a 48" WS and looks like a potential to make a descent RC bird. I have boxes, and boxes, of odds and ends parts that I buy on clearance or at swap meets. I pulled this EDF and nacelle out of the stack of stuff. The goal, whenever I get to it, will be to make it into a top pod mounted 64mm EDF. BTW that is about 25% of what I have in the basement, and I still have a 10 x 15 storage room filled with even more junk.

I've got nearly the same one. Haven't converted it to RC yet but its on the to-do list. It does look like it will work well. Funny, I was thinking EDF on my next "lidl" style build too... :unsure:

cyclone3350

Master member
The last time a screwed around with a chuck glider was the Raptor. I just kept the wings and horizontal stab and then filled the rest with other odds and ends. I think this time I will keep it simple..

Attachments

• IMG_3989 (002).jpg
    IMG_3989 (002).jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0