Smash Drone Swappable

Kenbow

. . . but that's an Armin wing with undercamberd tips, not a KF.

I do agree, though, while the KF wings have some . . . quirks, when properly built and on the right airframe they can perform well. My "ringer" airplane (the one you always bring to the field in case *EVERYTHING* else crashes) happens to be a flying wing with a KFm4, and it's a happy, zippy wing :)

To be honest I don't what they call the wing I built, I was just showing that it is ok to make your own plans and give it a go!

Well, after much delay (I was busy working, then building/flying/modding my FT-22, which I'm goona be putting mobified plans up for when I'm done so that you can use you power pod) I finally "finished." I didn't put any dihedral in the wing, but feel as though I wouldn't be too hard. Here's what it looks like in sketchup all complete.

Smash Drone WIng.jpg
This is only half. I would recommend taping the two halves together first, like all of the other wings FT makes, and then assembling, as it will make it much stringer.

I won't be able to build it anytime soon as I have been grounded and not allowed to build :(. I also only have 1 spare servo at the moment so I need to make an order. You will nee to make a small square cut into the fuselage of your done, right where the peak of the under-cambered airfoil sits, so that the spar will fit. When complete, just rubberband the wing on just like the former one. I would post the Sketchup file but it won't let me.

Have fun and post your build pics!!!!

Last edited:
Well, since I have off from school I am going to build the wing. I have a feeling that I am going to add some under-camber at the wing tips, like 4-6" or so as to give it more stability like the FT planes as this is a beginner. The wing length and CG will also be calculated and added to the plans. Dihedral is also going to be a problem that I will try and sort out and get back to you all about.

As to altering the original fuse plans I am thinking about designing a full foam boom so that you don't need a wooden dowel. Also, I am planning on adding the tail servos to the foam boom to shorten the linkages as right now I don't have any control rods that are the required length. This will require lengthening the nose of the plane too as right now it is really hard to obtain the CG and moving the servos back will make it harder. I may also change the thrust angle of the motor to make it more like that of the Bixler style planes.

Future mods are going to include flaps and a redesigned landing gear, also with an FPV pod/attachment.

Let me know what you think.

Nathan

Last edited:
Okay, I took.down the PDF as there were several very big dimension errors that I need to.fix. I will repost them once I find my flashdrive and can edit them.

Okay, here are the new plans. I have half of the wing cut out and am currently working on the other, will post pics as the process continues. I have a feeling that the ailerons are going to need to be wide, like 2-2.5 in so that they can fit the control horn comfortably. Also, I will probably be moving the servos out farther, it I don't adapt the FliteTest style when I add the probable under-camber wingtips. As of right now the wing fits perfectly on th e20" side of the wing with just like a 6" rectangle left on the bottom. Might shorten the wing span like 2" to make it fit on the piece of foam easier so you don't have to worry about needing a perfect sheet with no dents, as those can be hard to come by.

FYI, you need to get the wing under-camber gauge for either the old fogey or old speedster (they are the same as far as I know) or figure out the angle or something of the sort. This will enable you to make sure that the wing will match the top of your fuse. When I get all of the plans finalized I will be sure to include this.

Well have to get back to work.

For now, here are the updates plans with the new dimension.

Attachments

• Smash Drone Wing.pdf
    75 KB · Views: 42

peabody1929

Current PDF Build Template has Errors

I believe the current plan contained in the .pdf file has errors. Issues I found are:

- The Smash drone fuselage profile under the wing does not match the Old Fogey profile. As a result, the Old Fogey wing DOES NOT fit on the Smash Drone.

- Following the red lines on the plan to create the 45 degree folds results in a fuselage that has inside wall spacing of 3 1/4". The rest of the plan creates components for a wall spacing of 3".

- The powerpod brackets show a "A" type joint yet are labeled "B".

- Comparing the Old Fogey fuselage height to the Smash drone height, the Smash drone is shorter. Laying the Smash drone fuselage template over the Old Fogey template, the difference in height works out to 2" * (1 - SIN(45)). The dimensions do not take into account the 45 degree fold in the fuselage wall .

Bottom line: It is not possible to build a functional Smash drone from the pdf file on the website. Perhaps the wrong .PDF file was uploaded/restored to the website?